Fins: OMS Slipstream vs. Jets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Slipstreams compare most closely to the Jets ... they're slightly stiffer and about half the weight. My biggest complaint with both is the foot pocket, which is more appropriate to a 2x6 than a human foot. And their sizes are just downright strange ... particularly for folks who wear drysuits. I think DIR went with Turbosoles mainly so they could fit into the little girlie foot pocket that both Jets and Slipstreams refer to as "XL" ... and if you go up one size to the XXL, you'd better have feet like an NBA basketball player.

Scubapro introduced the "New XXL" Jet last year and it nicely fills the gap between the XL and the old XXL, which is now the XXXL, (and I agree, you could fit a cantaloupe in the foot pocket). The new XXL fits my diminutive size-8-rockbooted-feet like it was made for me. One of my size-10/11 teammates tried it, since he was jamming his foot into a set of XL Jets when dry and was immediately sold. He had those "tweener" feet that wouldn't fit the old XL and the old XXL was ridiculous.

If I ever go to Turbosoles, (and I'm really leaning that way), I would likely require an XL, but I would own two pairs of Jets anyhow, since wet I wear the L and dry would be either the XL or XXL.

I think it was a good move, albeit late, on Scubapro's part. Shoulda been there all along. Jetfin sizing was ridiculous; the smallest size is called "medium" and the largest is triple-Xtra large? :idk: I like 'em and am glad I found a set to fit me.

the F1 are a bit less stiff and floppier than the old jetfins, so strictly for kicks the jetfins are better -- but the foot pocket on the F1s are awesome and i'll take a little bit of floppiness over pain.

Now I'll admit I've never used the F1s, but a teammate does, and I'll admit that I am a Jetfin fan and I've never experienced pain from the foot-pocket, (they seems "made for me", maybe I'm lucky?), but just looking at the pocket of the F1, it looks more ergonomic and "natural" than the Jetfin pocket.

If someone made a 100% true-to-the-original Jetfin as far as weight, kicking "feel" etc., but somehow grafted the F1 foot-pocket on, I would likely be sold.

f someone made a 100% true-to-the-original Jetfin as far as weight, kicking "feel" etc., but somehow grafted the F1 foot-pocket on, I would likely be sold.

Yep, you and me both.

I love my F1s, but they are just a tad more flexible than I'd like.

Henrik

I tried the Hollis once and I my impression was that they were too floppy and lacked "bite" into the water. I've tried the Slipstreams a couple of times and I felt like there was a very slight maneuvariblity advantage over Jets because they were stiffer. It felt like a back fin kick took you farther back -- maybe it's all in my head. I own Jets and have used them for about 20 years. Jets and Rockets where my favorite fins when I was a scrawny teenager. When I go to something that is not Jet-like, it feels like having a handicap. Splits felt strange. They would move you, and it seemed that it didn't matter how bad you butchered the kicking technique, they would still move you.

When I lived in the tropics I would occasionally get chafing in the upper part of my feet if I dove too long without using boots or socks -- barefoot (maybe that was with the Rockets? -- it's been a long time and memories get blurred). Now that I live in Canada's West Coast, I do ocassionally experience compression pain in the metatarsal-phalangeal joint. This is worse than the chafing sting. It happens when long core sock of my White's Fusion dry suit bunches up in the wrong place. It's already a tight fit in that foot pocket and it doesn't take much extra bunching to begin the pain. There's been a couple of times that it's been so bad that I've had to unhook the spring straps to release the tension and alleviate the pain.

I tried the Hollis once and I my impression was that they were too floppy and lacked "bite" into the water. I've tried the Slipstreams a couple of times and I felt like there was a very slight maneuvariblity advantage over Jets because they were stiffer. It felt like a back fin kick took you farther back -- maybe it's all in my head. I own Jets and have used them for about 20 years. Jets and Rockets where my favorite fins when I was a scrawny teenager. When I go to something that is not Jet-like, it feels like having a handicap. Splits felt strange. They would move you, and it seemed that it didn't matter how bad you butchered the kicking technique, they would still move you.

When I lived in the tropics I would occasionally get chafing in the upper part of my feet if I dove too long without using boots or socks -- barefoot (maybe that was with the Rockets? -- it's been a long time and memories get blurred). Now that I live in Canada's West Coast, I do ocassionally experience compression pain in the metatarsal-phalangeal joint. This is worse than the chafing sting. It happens when long core sock of my White's Fusion dry suit bunches up in the wrong place. It's already a tight fit in that foot pocket and it doesn't take much extra bunching to begin the pain. There's been a couple of times that it's been so bad that I've had to unhook the spring straps to release the tension and alleviate the pain.
I've experienced that same pain with my Slipstreams ... and am convinced it's due to the shape of the foot pocket and where it puts pressure on my foot.

Never had that problem with either the Turtles or the F1's. I do like the stiffness of the Slipstream ... but for goodness sakes, couldn't they design the things to better accommodate a human foot?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I switched from Jets to Slipstreams awhile back to take some weight off my feet and improve trim. The only really noticeable difference to me was that my calfs were sore after the first few dives with the Slipstreams.

After this weekends GUE Primary course i am switching to Jets from the slipstreams as soon as i can source a set. I currently have a tendancy to allow my fin tips to rise up vertically, the jets are easier for me to control in trim. I'll keep the slip streams for travel and continue to work on my trim position with them in the pool.

I had no problems with the large foot pocket on the jets (Halcyon spring strap, large) they do suction on to your feet a bit though making removal difficult but other than that they are a superior fin to thte OMS due to the weight, for me.
thanks for the input

I threw away my turtle fins and my jetfins once I'd tried Hollis F1s. I absolutely love them, far and away the best fitting fin pocket I've tried. The fit of the fin, and the comfort, is really the only variable that counts between all the DIR style fin. Everything else is really just window dressing IMHO.

+1 on the F1s! Although I did try on the "new" XXL Jets and they seem to fit well. I wouldn't mind trying a pair in the water to compare, but as Gareth said, I think we could talk all day about the differences between Turtles/F1s/Jets - it comes down to personal preference and fit. They all should be able to get the job done from the kicks/trim perspective... Just my 2 cents.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom