Fins: Full Foot or Open Heel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Blue-13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm a new diver just now starting to purchase my personal gear.

I'm researching fins, and can't really find what makes a full foot fin better/worse than an open heel fin (except not needing booties).

Are there really any significant pros or cons to each style?

My diving will probably be strictly warm water vacation diving if that matters any.

the simple answer is....if walking is involved you may want open heel and booties....if boat diving only then full foot fins are the answer.......if your doing both types then open heel and booties will work...

. . .
My diving will probably be strictly warm water vacation diving if that matters any.

Sure that matters. If you were diving in cooler water, your feet would get cold without booties. If you are strictly diving tropical water from a boat, you could choose either type of fin. I believe there are more choices in open-heel, and open-heel has long been more common in scuba diving. However, full-foot freediving fins are becoming quite popular with scuba divers seeking extra thrust.

Last edited:
I have been diving full foot fins for the past several year after diving open heel fins for a long time. I will never go back to open heel. Love the fact you don't need the booties or worry about straps breaking. I do own one pair of open heel with booties but only use them if I am going to Bonaire where you mostly shore dive and need the foot protection.

This is the pair of full foot fins I dive with. Best fins I have ever owned. Longer than typical scuba fins but not as long as true free dive fins. I highly recommend them.

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-mrsfqp/mares-avanti-quattro-power-full-foot-long-blade-fins

Coming from a cold water region, we always wear booties and open heel fins. So, when I started traveling to warm water places I jumped on the chance to use full foot fins. I became enamored with their lightness and simplicity, but that was before getting several foot injuries like splinters from wooden docks (Key Largo), stubbed toes on beach rocks (Fiji), cuts from dead coral (Bonaire), etc. Now I’m happy to travel with a pair of low rise booties and open heel travel fins equipped with spring straps. That’s what works for me. Part of the fun of diving is learning what works best for you.

I only use open foot fins when it's a rocky or urchin covered beach. Or when I'm in a dry suit.

Warmer water, I'll always go to a full foot fin. Simpler, and more comfortable for me.

A number of dive related injuries on boats are to the feet. Once saw a photo of a toe that got a 4lb lead weight dropped on it. It still would have hurt but the boot does offer some protection. Boat ladders can also be rusty, have sharp edges, and in Jamaica a nice sandy beach entry led to a nice sandy shallow area in the water that was polluted with sea urchins.

We have many (scuba) customers who choose our full foot fins. The OP asked some of the benefits of a full foot fin:
  • A quality full foot fin has a solid, rigid sole under most of the foot which is better for transferring energy from your foot to the blade.
  • Some full foot fins can be worn barefoot - however most divers will use some type of neoprene sock to provide some cushion, abrasion resistance, comfort and warmth. Divers have the options of 2 mm, 3 mm and 5 mm neoprene socks on our website.
  • A full foot fin has no buckle or strap or clip on the side, which means that there is one (or two) less entanglement hazards. fin buckles are a magnet for snagging fishing line (as well as a float line if you are pulling a flag). Cutting line off a buckle is not a huge problem for a scuba diver, but for a freediver is could be important.
  • A quality full foot fin pocket is almost always shaped to be more anatomically correct and COMFORTABLE - many open heel fins have a footpocket that seemed to have been designed for someone who has a square foot. Freedivers are often wearing fins and actively swimming for 3-5 hours a day - a lot longer than most scuba divers spend per day swimming.
  • Freedivers are interested in efficiency in their kicking. The entire dive is done on one breath - so you can expect that they will select an energy efficient fin.
  • If you select a freedive fin, you have many options for the type of blade material and also stiffness - which allows the diver the flexibility to select a fin that matches their budget and leg strength and objectives.
  • If you select a freedive fin, the blades are large. This increased fin area provides tremendous stability and control for the diver -
Some of the negatives of a full foot fin:
  • Somewhat more difficult to remove when existing the water - compared to a good spring heel strap - especially in cold water with thick gloves on and cold hands.
  • Long freedive fins are probably not the best choice for penetration diving (although the OP was not doing this).
  • If you select a freedive (long) fin, you may find them somewhat cumbersome on a small dive boat. If you can shuffle to the exit or do a back roll, this is normally not an issue.
In warm water locations, it is very common to see dive masters and dive crew (as well as a huge number of scuba spearos) selecting full foot freediving fins for scuba.

Some people have claimed that they can approach skittish marine life a little easier with freedive fins since they allow a slow, methodical kick that appears to be very relaxed and causal - which is somewhat deceiving, because a good pair of freedive fins can push a scuba diver along at a good pace.

Fins

I'm a new diver just now starting to purchase my personal gear.

I'm researching fins,
Hey! Dela-WHERE?! Glad to see you on board. :)

Seriously, your first set of fins just have to be from Mares and a pair that have the word "Avanti" in it. It's traditional.

Move on from there when you find out how you want to dive.

Open heal for the win!
The open heal will give you a broader range of adjustment, also in some environments it will allow you to remove your fins while still having your booties to protect your feet when exiting a rocky shore dive or for that long walk back to the car on hot pavement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom