fins for snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cloudbuster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi I would like to get you guy opinions on snorkeling fins.
I was looking around and found this any comment on this fins

National Geo Explorer Series
National Geographic Fit Traveler Open Heel Fins - Explorer Series

US Divers Trek
http://www.amazon.com/US-Divers-Trek-Travel-Fin/dp/B0030DID6C/ref=pd_sim_sg_5
there a comment ultra mini review of the Trek at this page Travelling Light - Divernet
is 5.25kmph a good number? what the average?

Aqua Sphere Zip
Aqua Sphere Zip Fins

APS Mantaray
APS Mantaray Dive Fins

I saw at walmart the US Diver proflex but they dont gave me confidence just by holding them
Proflex FX

Thanks.

A lot of variety in those fins - is your priority small, light, cheap, getting really good snorkeling fins, getting fins that could potentially be used for scuba one day, or what are you looking for? Whatever it is, do make sure they will fit and be comfortable and not giving you blisters, that's more important than whatever supposed features they list.

The thing about snorkeling or any surface swimming, it's better if your fins don't break the surface a lot. Fins that are flapping around in the air too much are annoying and won't get you much propulsion for your effort. If you have fins with tiny blades and some of the blade is out of the water a lot that really doesn't leave you with much. So if you have floaty legs you might prefer something on the bigger/heavier side.

I would ignore any kmph rating a manufacture/marketer pastes on a fin, it's a meaningless number and I really doubt there's a useful average out there to compare it to. You're unlikely to be in a hurry while snorkeling anyway.

I do have a pair of APS Mantarays that I use occasionally. They have enough power for scuba and are shorter than many scuba fins. But for some reason I can't figure out right now I prefer my simple old average size paddle fins for snorkeling, they just seem to work better for me. YMMV.

Freediving Fins

I would look at long blade fins for snorkeling. All serious free divers....who snorkel...use them. There are a lot of good brands.

I've used the first two types you linked. They're specially designed for a short burst couple of kicks to catch very steep, fast waves for body surfing or body boarding. They also have little surface area which helps them to not get ripped off your foot in surf.
If you use those compared to longer fins for leisurely snorkeling, you'll work harder to get around as fast.
I've used all types of fins for all applications (except cave and wreck diving....brrrrrrrr). Long blades can't be beat for surface swimming and free diving.

For me, "snorkeling" comprises two very different activities:

For leisurely splashing around the surface looking at a shallow bottom, I use my scuba fins. When it's a leisurely activity, I don't think it much matters how efficient the fins are, though my scuba fins are supposed to be quite good. Comfort matters, and if traveling, light weight is nice.

For freediving, long fins are the only way to go. I use a pair of H. Dessault, the cheapest model they had at the store, since as a beginner I didn't want to spend a lot of money on expensive carbon fiber or composite materials. The fins are great for my needs.

In order to choose the "best" fins, you have to define the activity they'll be used for, and whether or not weight is a factor, and whether "price is no issue" to get the "best," or whether you're looking for the "best value for the money."

The great thing about snorkelling is that which fins you wear is entirely up to you. You are liberated from the tyranny of others telling you that what you have on your feet is wrong for the particular aquatic pursuit. The only thing that you must do when selecting fins for snorkelling is to verify that they fit YOUR feet, not anybody else's. Fitting a pair of fins means ensuring that the foot pockets not only match your feet in terms of length but also width-wise and with respect to arch height. So forget about brands altogether. Remember that if you choose full-foot fins and want to wear socks or booties with them - contrary to some people's opinions you CAN wear socks or booties with full-foot fins in colder waters - then you will need to factor in the extra bulk when sizing the fins.

I mainly freedive and normally use carbon blade full foot pocket fins. My preference when snorkeling with the kids is a rubber full foot pocket fin. I use Apollo Bio-Fin UNI. I use with neoprene socks or lightweight booties even in warm waters. The fins you listed are all open heel which would not be my preference when snorkeling. The rubber open heel you listed later are nice, but I still prefer a fullfoot pocket for snorkeling. Also any fin I would use for SCUBA would be my last choice for snorkeling. Best to try out in a pool to see which ones you like. Walmart allows returns if you do not like it. Most shops allow returns if you do not like them just ask. I think whatever fin fits the best and is most comfortable in a swimming pool. Try the short open heel fins against a full foot pocket snorkeling fin. Think about a lightweight bootie if walking on rocks for foot protection. So must get the neoprene sock or bootie to try on fin if want some foot protection.

When you're looking for fins function is key but fit/comfort is supreme. If you are looking for a freedive fin you need the long blades that give you power with minimal exertion. But what I believe you are looking for is a lightweight fin for travel and leisurely snorkeling. I would suggest the Deep See Aquaglide fin. This is a really soft open heel fin that you won't need a boot with and you get pretty good power with it. I have used these and several others that you asked about and really liked these best. My personal favorites are full foot Mares Volos but i use them more for diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom