Fins for different types of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guinsu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a set of closed back fins but I was thinking of getting a set of open back fins, possibly with a spring strap. I want to use it for warm water shore diving as well as 3mm wet suit and dry suit driving. Will one size fin work for everything or am I going to need one size fin for warmer stuff and a separate size for dry suit diving?

Yes, there is a one fin solution. Try a jet fin or any of the copies: Scubapro, Rocket fins, OMS, IDI, Turtle fins, ect.

Yes, there is a one fin solution. Try a jet fin or any of the copies: Scubapro, Rocket fins, OMS, IDI, Turtle fins, ect.

well I don't know about one stop, only because for example, I have a set of really big turtle fins that I can't put on my regular wet booties but are for rockboots.

I have a few sets of fins. I use jet-type fins primarilly (Slipstreams) but I have a pair of XL for wet and XXL for dry. How you dive is going to influence the typs of fin you want. If you are a frog-kicker and use the advanced kicks (helicopter, back kick, etc.) then these are the right fins for you. If you use a flutter kick primarilly there are better fins out there. I used to use Quattros and I found they are much better at flutter kicking and distance swimming than the jets. Take a look at what you will be using them for, then choose the fin that is right for you.

Force Fins might be an option. Force Fin has an instep instep_product
that can be used when you are diving with your wetsuit boots and then you can take it out of the foot pocket when you want to dive dry. This is how I use the instep. The instep will allow you to change your fin from one size up or down depending if the instep is in the foot pocket or out.

yup, ForceFins are your only option. its doesn't matter, I can go from barefoot to drysuit boot in the same fin. Not only can I go everything that a jet fin can, I can do it better.

Its no problem for the ForceFins to go 2 full sizes. I'll start with a XXL for Drysuit boots or heavy neoprene booties. add 1 comfort instep to wear a 3mm bootie, then 2 pairs of insteps to go barefoot.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for all the advice, I did some searching here as well. I do like what I am reading about the jet fins and copies. I did see they are kind of heavy, which is an issue for traveling. I think long term I will look at either the force fin or jet fin + quattro for warm stuff.

I should have mentioned, the ForceFins are shorter and lighter than pretty much everything. I just compared them to the Quattros, the pair of ForceFin Pro's weigh about 3/4 of the pair of Quattros, which is probably about 1/3 the wieght of Jets. They travel as well as they go. And of course, you don't have to worry about some stupid strap breaking, as you don't even need a strap with FF.

I should have mentioned, the ForceFins are shorter and lighter than pretty much everything. I just compared them to the Quattros, the pair of ForceFin Pro's weigh about 3/4 of the pair of Quattros, which is probably about 1/3 the wieght of Jets. They travel as well as they go. And of course, you don't have to worry about some stupid strap breaking, as you don't even need a strap with FF.

Yeah I have seen that. All the force fin hate makes me nervous so I think I will wait till a pair turns up on ebay. If I hate them I can turn around and sell them for what I paid.

considerig that you live in the town that I grew up in, send me a PM and I'll try to arrange that you can take my Pros with you on your next dive trip. Just let me know when it is coming up and we'll figure it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom