Finishing Full Cave (finally)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Imbodie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK, I am finally looking at a class in January to finalize my Full Cave certification. I am NAUI Cave 1 and the class is NAUI Cave 2. Making a trip for Thanksgiving to get some diving in and my question is are there any skills I need to focus on , on the trip?
I have 55 post cave1 dives in, have done multiple single jumps and a few double navigation jumps. I this year started carrying a spare mask and have practiced deploying in open water (not that I see a difference between open and overhead). I also have gotten Tech-40 so I have been doing some either real or simulated deco stops at the end of the dive depending on the situation. I plan on running line on most of the dives on the thanksgiving trip because that would be my most rusty skill that I am aware of. So hit me guys, what else do I need to practice?

Practice carrying and handling (dropping/picking up) 2 stage bottles and a deco bottle. One bottle on a leash if using 3 but working with at least 2 bottles will give you a head start on the class. Cave two will include deco, completing a circuit, and using stages to penetrate further (dropping them after breathing a third, and picking them up on the way out). Cave 1 should have included handling one bottle and the team using one on each dive staged as a safety around 400’ in (at least that was the case when I did the course).

Cave 1 should have included handling one bottle and the team using one on each dive staged as a safety around 400’ in (at least that was the case when I did the course).
I started Cave1 as a team and finished with a different instructor as a solo... so I didn't get much on the stage as a safety.. picked it up for about 5 dives and stopped because if I couldn't use it I didn't see the purpose.... though I have been carrying my AL40 deco bottle and dropping it where appropriate.
So I guess I will work on carrying my AL40 and an AL80

Thank you for the feedback... I am very excited to hopefully finish full cave.

Practice carrying and handling (dropping/picking up) 2 stage bottles and a deco bottle.
I started Cave1 as a team and finished with a different instructor as a solo... so I didn't get much on the stage as a safety.. picked it up for about 5 dives and stopped because if I couldn't use it I didn't see the purpose.... though I have been carrying my AL40 deco bottle and dropping it where appropriate.
So I guess I will work on carrying my AL40 and an AL80

Thank you for the feedback... I am very excited to hopefully finish full cave.
Too bad you lost your team. That said your instructor should have continued teaching you as a two person team or at least have you play the role of the “safety bottle guy” (last one in) every now and then. Also, having your Cave 1 is actually on par with “full cave” from some agencies. NAUI is a bit more aggressive with what their cave curriculum and Cave 2 will actually teach you more than what most “full cave” students get.

Too bad you lost your team. That said your instructor should have continued teaching you as a two person team or at least have you play the role of the “safety bottle guy” (last one in) every now and then. Also, having your Cave 1 is actually on par with “full cave” from some agencies. NAUI is a bit more aggressive with what their cave curriculum and Cave 2 will actually teach you more than what most “full cave” students get.
Actually why we chose NAUI, well 3rds anyway..., "we" continued to dive together for just shy of 2 years but broke up when I had to leave Florida (we were dating, not just dive buddies). The only thing I've wished for was being able to stage at this point... Not so much in Peacock but Ginnie or Jackson diving with a stage would be nice. Though I have definitely appreciated being able to do jumps (nav decisions) and even got to do a small circuit my last trip to Marianna (I know actually above my training level) but it was basically a visual circuit but it was nice to get the feel for it. The class in January will allow me to truly dive stages as well as deco on 100% O2... I'm pretty sure the only other thing I MIGHT want is Cave DPV.... and again just for the high flow caves.

Verdict?

The class got cancelled, waiting on a reschedule date now.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom