Finished Open Water Cert today... had some surprises!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PTAaron

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I got home a little while ago from doing my 4 open water dives for my PADI open water cert... and I had an awesome time!
Dives were done at Portage Quarry in Ohio - and let me just say that quarry water in early May is NOT warm!! LOL!! I think the coldest my computer recorded was 45 degrees at 50 feet, and at 20 feet it was right around 50 degrees. Visibility was fair - 10-15 feet. I was really surprised at how comfortable I felt in water that cold though - only time it bothered my was when it got into my mask.
Our instructor told us that if we could dive comfortably in the conditions we did today, we could pretty much dive anywhere - so that was comforting!

Anyway - the experience went really well. A couple of surprising things happened though:
1) At about 30 feet down on the very first dive my regulator started leaking water! Big surprise that first breath when I got a mouthful of water with the air!! After coughing that out, I naturally looked up and my first thought was "Holy crap, I have to get to the surface!!" ... but I remembered a lot of the threads I have been reading on here (been addicted to the site since I found it) and stopped and assessed the situation. It wasn't a LOT of water, and I was still getting air - so I wasn't going to drown. Once I calmed down I continued swimming along for a short time - but my wife was having trouble equalizing her ears and needed to go up. I used that opportunity to change to over to my octopus, which worked fine and DIDN'T leak!
For my second dive I just used the octo, and switched out for a new regulator set for the second day.

2) I had a surprise visit to the surface! Swimming along comfortably at 30 feet on dive #2, and - according to the DM that was with me - maintaining good buoyancy control (for a new diver) I suddenly noticed that my wife and the DM appeared to be decending! I checked my computer and I was at 20 feet... I tried dumping air, but the BC was empty. I shifted around a bit to make sure there were no air bubbles to get them to the top - still nothing. 30 seconds later I was on the surface! The DM (we had 2... one stayed down with my wife, the other surfaced to make sure I was OK) asked what was wrong - I just said I was as confused as him as to why I was there! We later determined that although I was perfectly neutral with my weights with a FULL tank, I was underweighted with a 2/3 empty tank!
I managed to kick my way back down, and once I got deeper I became neutral again and finished the dive.

Those were my 2 big eye openers... I added some weight for the second day of dives, and had a better maintained regulator (a Genesis GS-2000 that I is now BY FAR the best rental reg I've used) - and I was actually able to relax and enjoy the experience. I even took some time to "drive" a motorcycle at the bottom of the quarry. I did notice one thing - the more relaxed I got while diving the more I dropped. I don't know if that is a function of breathing better? I found myself popping more air into the BC to maintain as time went on - even at the same depth.

One funny thing happened:
At one point I found myself at a point where kicking didn't seem to propel me forward, and I was getting kind of frustrated. At that moment I thought about the eDiver game - and when my diver on there has issues it is usually due to bad trim... so I flattened myself back out - and guess what? I moved forward just fine! So video games really are useful!!

Okay... kind of a long post - but I just wanted to share.

Thanks to everyone on this board for the fantastic information you have posted all over the board. Obsessively reading the board several times a day has taught me so much!

This was really a fun read, and thanks for sharing it. I learned a ton from reading threads and asking questions here, but I wasn't lucky enough to do it BEFORE I got certified. Sounds like you took some good stuff away from the board!

Congratulations on being an official diver -- Where are you going next?

Congratulations! Great feeling isnt it? So, I guess you'll be diving on your own next weekend eh?
If so, post it on the 'where did you dive today' thread and share the experience :)

Welcome to the addiction.

Pitchblack.

Your post makes me even more excited to start diving, I am taking my OW class in June. I will be in cold water as well, don't have a choice living in Alaska! Of course leave it to me to finally get around to learning to dive AFTER moving to the coldest state! Oh well, thanks for the useful info. Good luck with the future dives.

Congratulations on your certification and a huge congrats on handling the issues you encountered in such a calm manner. I also learned in a quarry and it really makes me appreciate the nice warm, clear waters of the Caribbean :)

It sounds like you've done your homework....and you actually learned from it! It's great that you were able to overcome your issues and figure out how to get around and/or fix them! You will have so much fun diving, and I'm sure you will continue to learn more and more....just when you think you know it all, you realize that you know nothing....

Congrats and welcome to your new addiction! :D

Congrats!! Happy diving!!

Congrats on the Certification.

Can I ask you to read an ongoing thread about a diver dying in Grand Cayman. This might seem out of place, but there are many lessons there or at least food for thought. I think that exposure to the details will give you a virtual 10 dive credit, seriously.

Good luck with your diving, now go get wet ... often.

Best Regards
Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom