Finished class, on to open water!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CrazyDave

Contributor
Reaction score
I passed the classroom and closed water portion last night.
Now, I can't wait to get to Pearl lake to do open water tests.
I am scheduled to go on the 31/1 weekend to do open water.
I was breezing into the test until I was at the Dive tables then my mind went blank. I redid the figures 4-5 times and just could not come up with a correct answer. So I did what I always do in that situation. I went with best guess and got 4 out of the 5 table questions right.
I have bought so far a Mask "Mares Zero 9" and snorkle "just a basic" and Scuba Pro twin jet fins. My instructer and the DiveMaster both said that those were the best things to get to start, as I can use all of those for snorkling also. I had seen on the boards that quite a few of you all have suggested the same thing . I will wait on buying anything else for a while. Regulater will be next then BCD.

I’m looking forward to have you as a new diver.
Now it is not a big deal because instructors and divemasters will surround you and watch you during your open water dives.
You have to try to learn the table.
It is important to be safe and not to risk your life.
What would happen if your buddy does not know the tables too?
How would you correct your buddy’s mistakes?
Please take my advice and practice the tables, ask the instructor to give you more table questions.
When I learned the table, my instructor gave us 25 extra questions and the answers on a separate sheet to practice at home.

My kids will be at Pearl Lake the 31/1 weekend for their open water. My husband and I will go along to get a little bottom time on our own.

We are planning on going to Pearl Lake tomorrow for our first dive this season (weather permitting). I have not been able to get any info on temps or vis.

Good Luck Crazy Dave! Maybe we'll run into you in a couple of weeks.

Julie

:scuba:

on passing your class and best wishes for a fun OW certification weekend.

BTW where is Pearl Lake?

It was strange. I have done a bunch of different tabulations today and breezed right over the tables, no problem. I just froze. Trust me, I may be crazy but I am not stupid.:D .
Juls, my instructer was there today so i will post the temp and vis when I find out. Of course with the storms rolling over it could be a mute point by the time we get there.
Pearl lake is on the Il and Wisconson border. Its one of the spots that we go for open water without hitting Lake Michigan.

As many experienced people here will tell you, take the time to learn (and use) the tables now and get experience with them. If you move onto to Nitrox, knowing them well will help greatly. Don't be so anxious to run out and get a computer to do all your thinking for you - suppose if you had one it crapped-out while diving or in a town where you couldn't get it fixed quickly, etc.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom