FinePix S7000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Desert Eagle:
where did you find the housing?

Eli

the 5 and 7 dont exactly have the same feature set the lens on the 5 is slower and has more digital zoom in its claimed 22x (BTW optic and digital zoom arent multiplable but additive, but the manufactures dont want you to know that.) it only has a 10x but its 10x is a little bit on the short side for what it can do, i still think that some of the optical has a little bit of digital zoom in as in what i tested it the zoom maxed out beforethe view finder said it had reached the end of the optical on the indicator.

the 7 is a good camera but the programming for resoultions is all messed up. there are no fine level of compression for any of the native resoultions (6, 3, 2,1 mp resoultions) and that the 12mp setting is just a blown up image by the onboard processor(this is called intrepolation), to get the "12" mp setting the onboard processor is enlarging a native image by 25% (going from 6mp to 12 mp isnt doubling the resoultion because if you doubled the resoultion of a 6mp camera it would then be a 24mp camera) then compressing it in either RAW, Fine, normal, small.

because there are no other compression levels in the native resoultions other then normal the resulting images in my opinon are over compressed and full of noise (both compression and sensor related)that requires work in photoshop, and a run through neat image to get rid of the noise.

i dont own this camera my self but i do have access to one, and have used one to take images in just about every enviroment, and the opinon stays the same. fuji basically tried to make a improvement to a solid camera (the fuji s602z) but in the upgrade snafu'd it in the programming. now if fuji were to change the programming i would consider it but at this point the next digital camera i buy will be a DSLR (the 10D or 1D replacement) as this is area i would rather have since by the time i am getting another camera i will have a complete set of canon L lenses for my 1V. but beyond the short commings of the camera it still produces some very nice images but they will require some post processing work

if your looking for some review of the S7000 and S5000 look at these reviews

S5000
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms5000/
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S5000/S50A.HTM

S7000
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/s7000.html this is the only s7k review on the internet at this time.

FWIW

tooth

I checked out the sample images for the S7000 at the review you mentioned. They were disappointing, just as you said. Cameras with lower MP resolution had sharper, less noisy images. I guess Ill stick with my Canon S40 for now!

Eli

i know it seems like the lastest round of cameras are going a step backwards in performance then forward( examples would be the sony 828 has noise issues, the c5060 went from a fast to slower lens, nad then there is the fuji) the only true improvements in sensors ahve been with the DSLR's and those are really expensive (but make me druel, man i would love a 10D or a 1Ds) but then again maybe time will tell.

perosnally i think that for consumer level cameras i think that 6-8 mp is going to be the limit because of the size of the sensors and the cameras(because the more pixels on the sensor will result in less sensitivity(ie no low isos (100, and 200) and there will be more noise because of the signal to noise ratio will be increased) what needs to happen is that the manufactures need to go to larger sensors like the 1/3" sensors instead of the 1/8" size that are in most 5 mp cameras now a days, just for a comparision you could stick 4 c5050 sensors in the same space that the canon 10D sensor is(but this doesnt mean that the 10D could do 25 mp as the image quality would be horrendous))

but in any event your S40 is a good camera to stick with and it has a housing available for you to use were the fujis dont

FWIW

Tooth

Back
Top Bottom