Finding a decent wetsuit under $200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wolfgangmob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking to finally go for my OW certification and will likely just do it occasionally when the weather is nice and I have a free weekend since my roommate (as of June 1st) is also OW certified. Now I will have access to all of my dad's equipment which has been kept up and was used right up until he was given a no-go due to CO2 levels in his blood so it needs a check but worst case probably a new tank and good to go according to him.
Now this means my only major equipment need is going to be a wetsuit if all of my dad's gear is given an OK so since I'm in college I'm looking cheap, as in under $200 but I'm also not quite on any charts of sizes. I am broad to start with, my shoulders are quite wide for my height (5'10") and I'm... hefty, weight varies from 290-300 depending on time of year and activity level but aside from the weight I would be sized as a 3XL. Since pretty much all of my diving will be late spring to early fall I just need something for water that will be in the 50F to 70F range. Currently I'm liking the idea of the Neosport 2-piece to start with and possibly doing 5mm John with 3mm or 5mm step-in jacket or else a Neosport XSPAN 5mm, I would rather be on the low end for the temp since I rarely have issues with body heat. Now I know these are low end suits but this is going to be a once in a while hobby while in college and I will be more capable of getting a good wetsuit after I graduate so this needs to last about 2 years of maybe 10 dives max so what my questions are is there any other brand to look at in this price range? And does anyone use one of these with similar dimensions?

Just a thought, if you are only going to use it for 10 dives (I am assuming you mean 10 trips which would usually mean around 20 dives), why not rent? I would imagine it might be cheaper to go that route.

I would suggest make a try with Leisurepro on-line. Search for henderson Thermoprene.
I bought a 5 mm Henderson Thermoprene Farmer John and a 5 mm Neosport Shorty long sleeve, both summed up less than $ 200.

You can't go wrong with the X-Span. I have a 5mm & 7mm and love them. I'm short & "round" and they fit well.

I had to go try wetsuits on. I'm nowhere on the size charts.
We got 3mm neosports for $100, obviously a thicker one would cost a bit more, but under $200 seems doable.

Anyone saying that Neosport suits are "low end" either hasn't dived them or is trying to sell something more expensive. They're excellent suits for the money, though they may have a few less of the niceties. I think I have 5 different Neosport suits/vests/whatever.

That said, I've never paid more than $150 or so for any suit and I have some very nice suits. Now's actually a great time to shop for full suits if you live near any water (looks like you don't). Buy sale items from last year's line to save big bucks. My most expensive suit, like I said was about $150 for me. Retail on the suit is over $300. It will be harder to find suits in "odd" sizes at discounts, but I like wetsuitwearhouse.com because I know what sizes fit me in the various brands they carry. You can get some great prices there but you may also be able to find something at your local shop. If you're trying on in a shop, you should really be buying in a shop... karma and all that.

EDIT: Consider looking at the surfing suits too... I've found they seem to be cheaper and, in my opinion, warmer for the same thickness because they don't have so much of the "stretch" factors. They also have a lot of mixed thickness suits. My favorite is a 4/3.

50-70 degree water is cold- so you also should get a hood- it will make a big difference. I had good luck with my Neosports. I also had good luck with with scubatoys.com.

Just a thought, if you are only going to use it for 10 dives (I am assuming you mean 10 trips which would usually mean around 20 dives), why not rent? I would imagine it might be cheaper to go that route.

There is the chance I will make dives in areas without a good dive shop around also if I have all the rest of the equipment I would rather have all I need available and under $200 would make it about even out cost wise compared to renting depending on rates at some places since a couple spots only have one shop and charge to reflect it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom