Find a Dive Buddy with SB's New Buddy Matrix!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True thing, I just dont wanna organize a dive with someone and find out im completely incompatible with them. Someone closer to my own age would by nature increase the chances of us being compatible people. Because I dont wanna dive with someone whos company i dont enjoy obviously. Im also not sure how many older more experienced divers would want to dive with a "newb". As interested in diving as I am, I dont have much experience yet, although I am a very quick learner, but ofc they wouldnt know that unless they met me.

Food for thought.

I did a dive with a Kitchener shop about 6 years ago and was buddy'd up with a stranger. The guy had a couple years on me (not generations but over a decade). Thanks to that dive I have an excellent friend, have done hundreds of local dives with him, gone on dive trips......I have to agree with Pete. Dive with anyone that will dive with you (safe divers that is), keep an open mind about it and if you hit it off, arrange for another dive. If you do not hit it off, just don't arrange for another dive but be thankful that you are 1 or 2 dives more experienced thanks to that person. Having a larger pool of dive friends means having to cancel fewer dives. Just dive and enjoy it.

Hey Travis,

When are ya back next? the Morrison should be open soon.

Pete

Not soon enough. i am planning on coming home for a week late spring or early summer for at least a week.and plan to dive as much as possible. when i get dates i will let you know as i cant wait to get back in the water :)

True thing, I just dont wanna organize a dive with someone and find out im completely incompatible with them. Someone closer to my own age would by nature increase the chances of us being compatible people. Because I dont wanna dive with someone whos company i dont enjoy obviously. Im also not sure how many older more experienced divers would want to dive with a "newb". As interested in diving as I am, I dont have much experience yet, although I am a very quick learner, but ofc they wouldnt know that unless they met me.

I am a fairly newb myself to diving,but because older more experienced divers where willing to let me tag along i have excelled and learned far more then i thaught i would when i started diving.Being that we are all divers we all share a common intrest, and like scuba steve said I myself have gained friends for life through diving that have also been mentors for me and taught me how to be a much better diver.I suggest if you are looking to improve get in the water with as many experienced divers you can, it will only make you a better diver.Dive with safe divers and have fun.

Yeah, I have no problem with diving with older divers and more experienced ones. I love hearing all the tips they have to offer. I guess im just worried people will be snobs about who they dive with. Once im able to buy a dry suit, im gonna put myself on the contact list of my local dive shop. That should help quite a bit. The lakes where I live are all very cold, so dry suit is definitely necessary. Im actually finishing my dry suit (and altitude) training tomorrow, so after that ill probably buy my own dry suit so i dont have to keep renting.

I think you'd be surprised at how willing a lot of people are to dive with new divers, especially if the dives are local. We were all new once, and many of us received a great deal of generosity from more experienced divers. People are understandably reluctant to buddy up with someone brand new if they're going out on an expensive charter, but for local lake dives, I think you'll find folks very tolerant.

As far as age goes -- Peter and I are about the oldest people we dive with, and our circle of friends has expanded to include folks down to their 20's -- and I'm talking "friends", not just dive buddies. They don't seem to find us dull, and of course, we always have diving to talk about!

I think you'd be surprised at how willing a lot of people are to dive with new divers, especially if the dives are local. We were all new once, and many of us received a great deal of generosity from more experienced divers. People are understandably reluctant to buddy up with someone brand new if they're going out on an expensive charter, but for local lake dives, I think you'll find folks very tolerant.

As far as age goes -- Peter and I are about the oldest people we dive with, and our circle of friends has expanded to include folks down to their 20's -- and I'm talking "friends", not just dive buddies. They don't seem to find us dull, and of course, we always have diving to talk about!

Well said, Lynn :)

Am I doing something wrong? I can't seem to find the link for signing up for the buddy Matrix?

Just add your GPS LAT/LON coordinates into the spots at the very bottom of "Edit Your Details" section of your User Control panel and you will be there. If you are a US resident you can also just add your ZIP code.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom