finally....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aslscuba

Registered
Reaction score
i getting class in month away... as part of my vacation in Fla. hope things go well for me....:) i found an ASL instruction... whew..

Congrats on finding an instructor who can deal with a deaf diver :D

I'm deaf, 100% loss in one ear, 93% loss in the other, I wear a single hearing aid. I didn't have any trouble during training, the instructor simply waited until we were all either out of the pool or on the boat and I had peeled my hood off, dried my hair and inserted my hearing aid before starting his debrief of what went wrong, what needed more practice, what was good and dialed in and so on... no problems with the in class stuff other than I didn't get much more info than the pretty pictures off the DVD, the sound quality was atrocious.

Underwater? well, no-one can speak there, and I had more practice in figuring out what gestures mean, so I was ahead of the rest of the class there :D I couldn't hear tank clonkers but being deaf I already had the practice in keeping people in sight as I can't hear every hail someone makes to try and attract my attention on land anyway.

Deaf SCUBA training is no hassle if you have a decent patient instructor who doesn't insist on holding the post dive debrief floating on the surface waiting for the boat to come pick everyone up.

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom