Finally went to Round Valley to Dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadobadoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Many of us who have not been to Round Valley in NJ to dive yet want to know more. So, here is what I learned when my wife and I went last Saturday.

1. Open for diving April 1st to October 31st

2. 8am to 4pm and then 10am to 2pm after Labor Day

3. Park entrance is under $10 bucks per car but was free the day I went so I can't tell you the exact price

4. Shore diving in area #1 only and boat diving allowed with permission

5. Visibility was about 30-40 feet or more even after raining all night, 62 degrees at 35ft in October but they say it gets into the 70's above 30ft. in July and August

6. I saw tons of juvie fish, 3 larger fish all under 12 inches long, small grass patches, fishing gear, related trash, and all the mud you care to silt up. In short, it's pretty boring but fun to explore. Plus, it's cheap! Depths to 150 feet but you would have to work to get that deep from the shore

7. I didn't see any signs of a town that used to exist. I was however only in the shallows close to shore. The town was deeper. Also didn't find the training platform that was put in by the owner of Whitehouse Aquatics over 15 yrs ago

8. Very easy shore entry and exit with parking close by. Suit up at your car and walk down the small hill to the shore. Rock boots/booties are helpful here as the bottom is covered with rocks by the shore line. Easy to navigate as a gentle slope will point north towards the shore

9. Check in and out with the park office at the front of this lovely park to show your c card and get a scuba parking permit. They will give you a map and a dive briefing etc... Flag, snorkel, DL and c card reguired.

So, that's it. Just some info for the future searches that may be looking for info on Round Valley Recreational Park. Take the time to visit and do some hiking with your dog. We did and it was worth it. It was about 1 hour by car from Woodside, NY in Queens. This dive really serves as a great place for newbies to practice and for those dives at the start of the season to make sure that all gear is good to go. It will get boring quickly for most, but for those of us who could spend all day diving in a pool, it's great.

A town at 150 ft. Very interesting!

Yeah, interesting, but most likely not true. Considering it's a resevoir, all of the buildings were probably removed because it's drinking water. If anything, foundations, chimenies (sp?), wood burning stoves, and things like that are still there. Possibly even cemeteries with the bodies and headstones removed. The problem is, it's in areas that are nearly impossible to swim to unless you're rocking doubles with stages. By the time you make the swim out, there's a good chance that you are already in deco, considering that the "better" stuff is supposedly in deeper water. I think the only way we can really find a submerged town, is to find a place that isn't meant for drinking water, but pleasure boating, and it's most likely going to be OVERLY deep.

Johnnyrocket is right. I saw a picture of the bulldozed town before they flooded the place a long time ago. Nothing but crumbled piles way down deep.

As for other divers, no. Just my wife and I. Whitehouse Aquatics located about 10-15 minutes away does use it for OW cert dives and other people do dive it but chances are you will be the only one diving the day you go. It is fun to check out though if it's not too far from you.

I enjoyed it and will go back next year a few times but like I said, I enjoy diving in a pool. One nice long dive will do you. It's closer and cheaper than Dutch for me. Plus, the topside beats Dutch by a mile, but not the bottom side.

BTW, if anyone wants to meet there, I will if I am available when you are. My Wife was pretty bored with it after one dive so I'm not sure she will want to join me again. I do have some weekdays but diving season is ending soon there so maybe next year.

Actually, I like to fish, and spend loads of money on fishing stuff... maybe that would be a cool dive to collect some new gear so I can save money for diving.

I saw three fishing lures and was very tempted to pull on one guy's line when I almost ran into it. Needless to say, my dry suit disagreed with that idea.

Back
Top Bottom