Finally pulled the trigger on my upgrade to the Canon S100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What,if any, flash masks, will fit the Canon housing for the S100. Any recommendations for strobes?

if you have the inon mount, you can get a black diffuser in place of the standard diffuser....as for strobes....having used the D2000, S2000 and S&S YS27DX, i recommend any of them...i actually like the manual YS27DX a little better since i don't have to guess what the output will be once it's set.

Thanks for the advice. Have an Inon mount, Close up lens and Wide angle on order, so will see how it is set up and go from there. Still getting some good results with my Nikon SB 105 on slave mode, but may need to invest in another strobe. I am also going to try and do some work with Magic Filters as another option.

Strobe wise I recommend Sea & Sea YS01 to take advantage of DSTTL it has 110 degrees coverage, if you have more money get a DS1
Connection to a clear housing are tricky because of possible flare and backscatter. You have several option DIY with black tape inside the housing, or an Inon clear photo set Cap W51, or a velcro mask you can cut yourself such sea and sea. The Inon clear photo is the one with best results however it requires you to put a sticker on the camera itself before you put it in the housing. So if you want to use the internal flash for other purposes during your diving trip it is a bit painful.
Just make sure no light leaks or bounces inside the housing and reaches either the lens of your subject creating flare of backscatter. The Velcro mask or a 10bar sticker together with black tape inside should be a good baseline

What,if any, flash masks, will fit the Canon housing for the S100. Any recommendations for strobes?

We've got a storm over here in Perth tonight. Predicting wind gusts up to 140 km and 6 m seas so no diving for a day or two. It will be heading your way next so it may be a little longer before you can get in the water.

Great! Still getting over last weeks storms when we got over 140mm of rain in 12 hours. I'm heading up to South West Rocks with a heap of mates next month and was hoping to get more of a handle on the new setup.
Anyway good luck with your setup.

Has anyone done the comparison between the S100 and the G1X for image quality in general underwater conditions? The price of the G1X is almost double and i am wondering whether the extra money is worth the image quality. Currently i have a Sx230 HS that has been banged up and in need of replacement.

Thanks.

Paul

I think, based on what I've read in the last few months, from posts on SB and other reports that in "general underwater conditions " you would be quite pleased with an S100 unless you really want to spend more. Some may disagree. I actually had a G1x on order and cancelled for an S100 and am very content with the choice.

Went out for a dive today with the new rig this time with the Sea and Sea fibre optic cable. It did the trick. I never had any problems with misfiring or failing to fire like I had previously. It may have been a kinked cable or they may be substandard. I did expose extra fibre this time which may have helped.

A couple of the photos:

IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1656.jpg

I did find that the strobe fired using DS TTL tended to be a bit dark especially as you got over a metre from the subject. Increasing the exposure setting did help some.

Here is one shot showing backscatter.

IMG_1617.jpg

And one without the back scatter.

IMG_1614.jpg

Nice

What settings did you use...I've been holding off getting the S100 until the CHDK is stablized and a ttl in manual script is deveolped

From everything I've read, ttl doesn't work in M and the Av setting results in excessively slow shutter speeds and/or high ISO

Or am I mis-informed here??

Which exposure setting?
I did find that the strobe fired using DS TTL tended to be a bit dark especially as you got over a metre from the subject. Increasing the exposure setting did help some.

Nice

What settings did you use...I've been holding off getting the S100 until the CHDK is stablized and a ttl in manual script is deveolped

From everything I've read, ttl doesn't work in M and the Av setting results in excessively slow shutter speeds and/or high ISO

Or am I mis-informed here??

I operate in Tv mode. Shutter speed is normally set to 1/60. Aperture is auto and ISO is set to auto. Strobe is set to DS TTL though I had trouble with the shots being dull today and a couple of the shots were taken with the strobe in manual mode. Turns out I had the ND filter on which filters out light.

DS TTL does not work in manual mode so you need to set the strobe light manually.

When using Av mode, the shutter speed is set to auto. In low light the shutter speed becomes slow and the ISO high.

You can adjust both shutter speed and aperture in manual mode but you must also then adjust the strobe manually. There is no DS TTL in manual mode.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom