Finally made it to Mexico ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was one of the fortunate ones who didn't have to dive with a guide. I like forming dive plans with my buddies rather than having some guide decide where we will go. Guides are nice for suggestions but sometimes those side passages are just begging to be explored. If you have the training half the fun is "Lets see where this goes". As long as you follow line protocols and run jumps and place cookies there should be no problems navigating without a guide. I had some very awesome dives with Marissa and crew and one of my favorite dives was the last dive Eric and I did on our own without a guide. It was a lot of fun and Eric is a very aware and excellent buddy. We went down a cool side passage that was a little small, then got big, and came out into some cenote. The adventure is finding new things you've never seen before. :) I can't wait to go again next year.

I absolutely agree with you, Tracy! One of the best days of diving I did, right after my Full Cave, was to spent a whole day at Dos Palmas with my friend Jason Renoux. Our dive plan was to swim ALL the jump lines we could reach within gas limits. I don't think we got 1000 feet from the entrance, but we poked around and "explored" places we hadn't been (and from the look of it, places no one had been in a long time). "What's around that corner?" is a lot of the allure of cave diving for me.

Still, if you are on your first trip, have limited time (and aren't going to get back soon), and especially if you don't speak Spanish, hiring a guide is a nice way to ensure your ratio of fun to frustration is maximized :)

Still, if you are on your first trip, have limited time (and aren't going to get back soon), and especially if you don't speak Spanish, hiring a guide is a nice way to ensure your ratio of fun to frustration is maximized :)

I just nag you, lamont, and kathydee for information instead-- I like your rates better
icosm14.gif

I also did my first trip to the Yucatan earlier this year and I loved it!
For years diving the Yucatan was on the pinnacle of my bucket list.

I connected with Eric "Budgie" Burgess and Dave Long for my adventure and found them to be absolutely superb guides. They are not just amazing divers but also really cool people.

I did 6 dives in total. Mostly in the Sac Actun, but also had the opportunity to dive Carwash as well as Taj Ma Ha. Calimba was one of my favorites!

All cave divers should do at least one pilgrimage to the Yucatan. Myself? I'm already planning my return trip.

Video at: Cave Dive Mexico Final - YouTube

Bob,
Thanks for sharing the pictures of your trip to the Yucatan. I was fortunate to dive Nahoch-na-chich (pet cemetary) & Grand Cenote near Telum in Feb 2012.
I was on a family vacation & not planning extensive diving, but was luckily hooked up with two sidemount veterans I knew from Speleotech (in Telum)
We rigged my backplate over my rec-wing & borrowed a spare hog regulator & bungies to set up two sidemount tanks & did a shake down cavern dive to tune things & the rest is history.
I'm a sidemount convert.

Mike Dolson

Oh ... as Emily Latella used to say ... "never mind."

BTW - I think I neglected to mention that my dive buddy and "model" is fellow ScubaBoarder "kotik". Prior to this trip we'd never met or dived together. Turns out we're pretty compatible. Thanks, Eric, for your patience ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I knew you two would be compatible. Sounds like y'all had a great trip. Nice photos, too!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom