Finally here.... 44 years after my first dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Angelo Farina

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I started in 1975, when I was 16.
Arrived here probably by chance, while searching info on service parts for the regulator I did buy at that time, a Scubapro MK5, which did serve me all these years.
I finished my historical supply of parts for it, and now I have some problems finding some critical parts.
But let's talk of my diving history.
In Italy, at that time there was no PADI, NAUI or SSI. Just CMAS, through their Italian branch, called FIPS.
So I got my first degree in 1975, the second one in 1976, in 1977 I was assistant instructor, and I became 1st-degree instructor in September 1978.
5 years later I was a 3-stars FIPS/CMAS instructor, director of the diving school of my town, Parma (you now, where make Parmesan cheese and Parma's ham).
Also my wife is a diving instructor, and in 1985 we started working as professional instructors at Club Vacanze, a tour operator competing with Club Mediterranee all around the world.
We worked at Maldives (Alimatha, Gangehi) during winter and in the small island called Favignana, near Sicily, during summer.
We finished our professional career in summer 1989. A few months later we had our first son, Adriano, and immediately started training him (he did start swimming well before than walking, and had his first air bottle at 18 months, in a swimming pool). Then we have got another son, Giacomo (Jack), who is now one of the best Italian players of underwater hockey.
We continued as low-profile recreational divers until a few years ago, when, in 2008, I started a new research project about underwater acoustics.
I am a professor of Applied Acoustics at the University of Parma, having studied for my MD and PHD at the Bologna University. But only after becoming full professor, in 2005, I had the possibility to choose freely my research topics.
So now I am doings underwater research activity, employing microphone arrays, and I am a pioneer of using the Ambisonics technology underwater (a.k.a. "spatial audio").
Here below the result of my last experiments, conducted at the Panarea island one week ago. It is a 360-degrees "VR" video, best enjoyed wearing an head mounted display (such as an Oculus Go), and of course headphones, for experiencing the "spatial audio" effect.
This recreates the directionality of perceived sound, something that usually a scuba diver cannot perceive: underwater we loose any directional cue, as the speed of sound is more than 4 times faster than in air...
But thanks to Ambisonics, we can now "listen as a fish" for the first time.
Just try...
If you do not have an HMD, or a smartphone, then simply drag the viewport with the mouse while watching the video.

howdy and welcome from southeast florida usa...that's quite a scuba resume you have...dive safe.

Benvenuto a ScubaBoard! We're glad you're here, and what a cool video! Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom