Finally got out to the O Boat!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Finally and at long last I made it out to the O Boat yesterday (8/20/06). To say it was worth the wait is possibly the understatement of the year!
The weather was perfect, the seas calm, and the visibility superb all the way down to the flight deck (our "bottom" for this trip). The Island alone is huge with more nooks and crannies and rooms filled with gauge panels and just neat stuff than can be adequately explored in a dozen dives... a remarkable dive... highly recommended.
O_boat_Island.jpg

The old lady is just beautiful, and the amount of life already clinging to her is remarkable. The entire surface has soft corals, algae etc growing already; the critters are dropping out of the plankton and setting up house.
O_boat_turret.jpg

This filefish
O_boat_File_Fish.jpg

is a Sargassum filefish who would most likely never have had a place to grow up if Oriskany weren't there.
And of course no report is complete without a Blennie
O_boat_blennie.jpg

just to bring a smile :)

Rick

Awesome pics. Thanks. Looking forward to my 1st trip out there this weekend.

Great shots Rick! Love the Blenny of course...:D Looks like you guys had terrific vis. Did you do much penetration?

Great shots. I'll be there in October. Can't wait. There is just something about wrecks.

You know Rick since they sunk that ship I often wondered if the dive was worth putting up with all the crowds trying to rush out and dive her. I had came to the conclusion I would wait till things eased off a little and the summer crowd was long gone. The dive was tabled in the back of my mind to get around to it but in a no rush way if you know what I mean. BUT as I opened the first shot on this post dang what a rush I got from it. Just looking at that approach from the angle you have here that dive looks incredible. Now I suddenly find myself thinking about a dive plan. Did you charter or was it a private trip? currents? Water temps?

No EXIF on shots here what camera did you use?

Awesome report and photos! I can't wait to dive her.

Very nice indeed.

Tom - I know Rick occasionally shoots with an Olympus C8080, I dunno if thats the camera he used for this particular dive though...

Rick - Excellent shots! I've still yet to dive her and its driving me nuts!

tom wicker:
You know Rick since they sunk that ship I often wondered if the dive was worth putting up with all the crowds trying to rush out and dive her. I had came to the conclusion I would wait till things eased off a little and the summer crowd was long gone. The dive was tabled in the back of my mind to get around to it but in a no rush way if you know what I mean. BUT as I opened the first shot on this post dang what a rush I got from it. Just looking at that approach from the angle you have here that dive looks incredible. Now I suddenly find myself thinking about a dive plan. Did you charter or was it a private trip? currents? Water temps?

No EXIF on shots here what camera did you use?
We went out on the Wet Dream with Scuba Shack. We had a grand time - very relaxed atmosphere... they're a "recreational only" outfit so they ask you to stay flight deck level and above. However, they pretty much let you dive your own profiles and Smedley & I were over an hour on each of our two dives without their whining or complaining. Even provided hand-cranked home made ice cream on the trip back in! Water temp was 88 on the surface and 84 on the flight deck at 138'. The Lovely Young Kat & I dove it in just bathing suits. There was a little surface current, and a "moderate" current in the 30-40' range, but practically none down on the wreck... but this is the Gulf - currents can be zip squat nothing one minute and ripping an hour later.
Camera is a C8080 in PT023 housing with only the camera's strobe. I'm pretty pleased with its potential, though I'm still shooting 10 lousy ones for one presentable one. With years and years of manual SLR work under my belt the digital lag and all that auto focus/aperture/shutter speed & such drives me nuts. I wish someone made a high quality manual focus, manual aperture, manual shutter speed digital SLR that I could house at a decent price ... you know, a digital Nikon F2 :)
Oh, yeah, and a decent and cheap strobe...
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom