Finally got a housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

willo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I finally got a housing for my Coolpix 5000. It's a good little camera, even if the lens is a little slow.
I picked up an Ikelite housing for a steel.

Suggestions on lighting to add? I'm on a tiny budget.

the CP 5000 is a very capable camera underwater although the shutter lag will be frustrating. I wouldn't get anything less than an Ikelite DS-50. If you can't afford it now....save! Don't "waste" your money on anything lesser (IMHO).

HTH,
Dave

Second that notion. been saving for my regs for 5 weeks but I know ittl be worth every penny when I take that first breath.

-Matt

Well, a DS-50 is outta reach for a while.
What's the opinion on using an older substrobe 50 or 100?
It won't have preflash, but it's not unusable.

willo:
I finally got a housing for my Coolpix 5000. It's a good little camera, even if the lens is a little slow.
I picked up an Ikelite housing for a steel.

Suggestions on lighting to add? I'm on a tiny budget.

dunno about the Nikons, but I used my old Ikelite 50s with slave control with my Canon A series cameras and it worked a treat. Mine don't have any manual controls so it was a matter of changing the distance of strobe from subject, but it took surprisingly little time to get that organized.

The older 50s etc should work as long as you use a sync cord connection.

ssra30:
The older 50s etc should work as long as you use a sync cord connection.

When I was using mine with the Canon A series, I didn't attach the strobe at all but rather let the camera's internal (set way low) trigger the remote sensor.

The firmware upgrade that can be loaded from Nikon's website will help resolve that...

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom