Question Finally going digital, what to look for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ron273

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

Our last camera was an analog Sea & Sea Motormarine II with a pretty sweet strobe setup (yes, showing my age here :cool: ), that served us just fine, until it flooded during a boat dive in Egypt. This was about 15 years ago. We later bought a cheap Gopro clone in an underwater housing, but it never really did it for us. Now we are picking up diving again and we started looking at the digital options. Housing for our DSLR (Canon 80D) is not cheap and including some lighting it is a substantial amount of money, that could also be spent at a dedicated digital solution. Our goal is mainly photography, including macro, a video option would be nice but not necessary.

Now I did some research and came across the Sealife Micro 3.0. It seems like a pretty decent camera, but in terms of lighting it only supports video lighting, so no strobe option. I feel dat might be an issue, but having no experience with that kind of setup I have a few questions:
- Does the lack of strobe options limit the use of the camera underwater or is that still a good option?
- Would you recommend the Sealife Micro 3.0 or are there any other options I should investigate (I've seen some nice Olympus options as well)?

Budget is around 1000 euro.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Ronaldf

OM Systems TG7 and start with a single strobe or something like the Backscater Mini-strobe. I would avoid anything Sealife-ish.

Yes, lack of a strobe(s) will be very limiting underwater unless you only want bluecast blue photos. But, in clear, shallow water you might get some surprising results and the TG7 can shoot in RAW allowing for quite a bit of correction.

As to video, I cannot really answer video, I have seen some decent photos shot with video lights but a video light is not a substitute for a strobe. I do not shoot video and refuse, absolutely refuse to sit and watch snail videos shot by another diver. A thing with me.

You may have to expand your budget a little to get a TG7 plus housing, tray and a BS Mini strobe. The Inon S220 is also an excellent strobe for compact sensor to APS sensor cameras (with limitations). Inon strobes are known for reliability and durability for their price range.

Back
Top Bottom