Fin weight effect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here's a strange question: I recently switched from a pair of fins that weighed 3 pounds (total) and were positively buoyant to fins that weigh 6 pounds (total) and are negatively buoyant.

I know that now my feet will sink more than before (I don't have floaty feet anyway), but is having 3 pound negative fins on each foot going to be like wearing ankle weights and ultimately take a couple of pounds off my weight belt?

TIA

How have you found the heavier fins? Did they fatigue your muscles initially? Are you developing bigger/stronger more manlier muscles LOL ;-) !!!!????
Personally, switching from lighter to heavier fins, played more havoc on my muscles than my bouyancy.

The weight swing is dependent upon how negatively buoyant the new fins are compared to your old fins. While they may weigh more, they may also have a greater volume than your old fins, thereby reducing a linear buoyancy correlation.

There are ways to check them out before you go diving, but it's probably just be easier to determine any weight changes during the next dive. I dare say the weight/buoyancy change will not be great.

Good luck . . .

the Kraken

Thanks, I hadn't really thought they would change how much weight I carry, but it'll be interesting to see how they change my position and trim in the water. I just hope they don't give me sinking feet since I've never had floaty feet, even with positive fins that literally floated at the surface. Since we all know the Jet Fins sink like rocks, it'll be interesting to see the effect when we dive in a few weeks.

Whatdecostop, I haven't actually used my new fins diving yet, only in the pool to give them a good testing. After 25 minutes of doing laps, I can frankly say I don't anticipate any new muscles forming. I don't know if it's my years as a competitive swimmer, my kicking style, or the way I'm built, but I never felt burning or cramping while swimming with these fins. I can't say that about my old US Divers....and actually feel that I had to work harder with those to get the same propulsion than the Jet Fins give me with less effort.

"Three pound negative fin", that's pretty funny. If you attached a 2 1/2 pound lead weight to each fin you might get there.

It's easy to see how someone would innocently think of a new pair of fins being "3 pounds negative". It's amazing how many advanced divers forget to consider the volume displacement of things when making weighting calculations.

the Kraken

I had a similar experience when I recently switched from my leisurely, buoyant, SP twinjets to a pair of Apollo biofin XT pros, and actually packed the latter monsters all the way to the Galapagos and back (both for their coil-spring don-and-doff ease on --and hanging onto--small dive boats, and their stiff power in current). I wondered why I was able to dive with less weight than anticipated in that quite saline and cool water.

Recently, I found out why. I wore these fins to one of our Saskatoon Triton Dive Club pool sessions, but forgot to take along the belt and three or four pounds of weight I usually need to stay under for breath-hold UW hockey and such, but had no problem staying down. The usual buoyancy check--standing vertically in the water and slowly exhaling--demonstrated the reason: with the new fins I barely floated at eye-level with a nearly empty chest, the same as I would have wearing 3-4 pounds with the old ones.

While this wasn't a completely controlled and scientific test because my weight and body make up as well as the exact temperature and make-up of the water may have changed in the months between wearing the different fins, it does correct for displacement and the simplicity of the basic physics involved tends to indicate that your guess may be right. Why not try it!

P.S. Now I understand why kicking with these fins when also wearing the usual ankle weights in drysuit dives is tiring. You may, indeed, want to dispense with ankle wights when wearing heavy fins.

<LOL> I didn't actually mean that the fins were a "negative 3 pounds" in the water, instead meant that they weigh 3 pounds each and are negatively buoyant. Geez, I didn't say that well at all earlier!

But I was wondering if they'd be like having 1 pound ankle weights in the water since they are heavy and negatively buoyant. Yes, I do understand volume displacement, just not savvy enough to be able to calculate it myself. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom