Fin Strap Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris3536

Reaction score
Dear Friends,

I have been certified for about 1 year now. During my last 2 dives I have had a big problem with my fins. Both times my fins straps became "loose" and one of my fins "fell off"!!!! What the hell?!!!! I am currently diving the Tusa X-pert Zooms.

Another question for everyone is "How tight should you tighten your fin straps?" I was taught in OW class that if you fins are too tight you will get cramps?

Do you have to re-adjust your fins at depth because of compression?

What is the deal with these "spring straps" everyone is talking about on this board? They couldn't possibly be more comfortable than regular straps, could they?

I was also thinking about buying a full foot fin for trips to the tropics, but someone said that they can give you blisters on your heel. Is this true? What can you do to prevent blisters if you get them? Do I really need a full foot fin or should I save my $$$ for another dive trip?

.....Man, I sure do ask a lot of questions!!!

Spring straps are designed to be worn over booties. The spring (depending on the design) will be encased in clear PVC tubing, with about 3/4" external diameter, so they are quite comfortable. And because of the spring, they're self depth-compensating if you're wearing neoprene booties.

Sizing issues aside, they will solve most of your fin problems - be it breaking straps, slipping straps, coming loose at depth, and entanglement.

I have a pair of the zooms as well. And there has never been a more incorrect name associated with a product as is this. I dont "zoom" anywhere....in fact....I am looking for better fins.

Now that I have that off my chest....

Booties are a must with those fins and I will guess you know that. As far as how tight can you have them...my guess you are not tightening the straps tight enough. I keep mine pretty tight and have never had cramps. I have never had to adjust fins at different depths and couldnt see why one would have too.

As for the Tropics...."zooms" arent the best for the snorkel scene but will work. I would def take my booties with me....considering some of the things i have stepped on getting to the beach...on the beach...and in the water....def was glad i was wearing boots.

And as far a blisters go...yep, i have snorked so long as to get blisters...but not every time.

Now i have never tried the springs...but....I do understand how a spring works and I would tend to think they would have more of a chance to slip than a tight non stretching strap would. Isnt that why they are called "springs",,,,because they arent rigid in nature?

there are booties desighned for use with full foot fins, or you could just get socks made from the same material skins are made from and ware thoes.

chris3536 once bubbled...

What is the deal with these "spring straps" everyone is talking about on this board? They couldn't possibly be more comfortable than regular straps, could they?

Here is a link to an article on Spring Straps that I wrote. There are others on this board as well.

http://www.deeperstuff.com/spring-strap.htm

Dave D

RICHinNC once bubbled...
Now i have never tried the springs...but....I do understand how a spring works and I would tend to think they would have more of a chance to slip than a tight non stretching strap would. Isnt that why they are called "springs",,,,because they arent rigid in nature?
They sit quite comfortably in the curve just above your heel - maybe a little higher than where a rubber fin strap would sit on some people. A lot of booties and drysuit boots have a lug on the back anyway for fin straps that would prevent them slipping down. Slippage is not a problem.

I recently bought a new pair of fins, and took them on a 3 day trip without fitting spring straps like my old fins had - the difference was incredible. I had forgotten how much kelp would hook up on the ends of the rubber fin straps, and it made a definite difference to the enjoyment levels of the diving when I was being forced to stop and unhook myself from kelp throughout the dives (lots of kelp in California).

As someone who just recently made a switch to spring straps, I can't recommend them enough! I made over 20 dives on them since the switch (I'm using Mares Volos), and they've proven to be most comfortable. More so than the original rubber straps. The other benefits that people have been mentioning are noticeable as well. I no longer snag on things with the excess straps and they are much easier and quicker to don and doff. I never once did I feel that the straps were about to slip off. Always felt very secure with them.

As for full foot fins, unless you dive off a boat or a soft sandy beach ALL the time, don't get them. A few people on my last dive trip made that mistake and paid for it with lots of scrapes, cuts, and pains received from having to walk over jagged rocks and dead washed up coral with their bare feet on the way to and from water. The little mini-booties/socks that they sell for the full foot fins might help with the blisters, but they will not protect your feet from the rough terrain near entry at all.

-Roman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom