Fin recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hibneth

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I have been a partial paraplegic for many years and SCUBA certified some 30 years ago but I got away from the sport until this year and I am back into it big time. I am wondering if anyone can recommend any certain fins that would be best for me. Both my legs are rather weak and I tend to use my arms a lot. Would fins that are really flexible be better, or would small fins or long flexible, I just don't know. I recently purchased a pair of Force fins that don't have a real large blade and seem good but there may be something better for me.

Thank you,

Tom

Sorry to hear about your situation. I was partially paralyzed in one leg just over a year ago due to a skiing accident. Just below the knee but the muscles were lacerated as was the nerve so it made kicking difficult. I was able to kick somewhat with Oceanic V16 split fins. There was almost no kicking resistance which was good. I have a set of Aqualung Caravelles that worked pretty well too.

If your arms are strong, webbed gloves may be better and have the fins on just for stability and any use you can get out of them over time.

Sorry to hear about your accident and welcome back to SCUBA. Give me a call and lets go diving. As you know SCUBA is not only fun, but it is great therapy for you.

The larger the fin, the more water you are moving and therefore the more force (muscle) you need. So the smaller force fin may be a good fit. The split fins allow for less Resistance too while providing good propulsion. In the end, you just need to try several styles and just the fin that you feel works for you.

I have, in similar situations also tied my students two legs together and then they could put on one fin to allow them to put the strength of both legs into working one fin. In that case you may be able to handle a larger fin. As time goes by, if you dive often, you may find you are able to work both fins and gain strength.

If you are near Long Beach I have a variety of fins you are welcome to try.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom