fin/mask/snorkel maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

langostino

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
i've just bought myself my first pair of fins (gull mantis). i was wondering if there is a procedure for maintaining fins. i've noticed that my new fins have some sort of oil on them. does anyone do any special pampering to his/her fins or are they just rinsed and left to dry? i have the same question regarding the mask and snorkel. my instructor said that storing the mask with toothpaste coated inside helps. i'm a bit skeptical coz i know that flouride is a pretty reactive substance. anyway, let me know what you guys/gals do. thanks. :)

Just store everything in a cool, dark, dry place. Keeping them out of the sun is your best protection. No need for toothpaste on the mask.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

I've never heard of an application of toothpaste to store a mask. Toothpaste or Softscrub is used to clean a new mask and can be used to clean it periodically. Perhaps you misunderstood your instructor who meant to communicate that you could clean your mask with toothpaste, then rinse it off, before you put it away so it would be clean and ready to go for your next dive. I can't imagine storing it with toothpaste still smeared around on it.

Out of the sun would be my suggestion as well for the mask & fins. Snorkel? Hmm I used to have one, it's probably crushed under some stuff somewhere LOL

I agree with keeping it inside the house, cool, dry place.

Not sure about putting the toothpaste on it while storing though. I have heard of some divers putting a little anti-fog on the mask when they store it so it's ready to go for the next time.

After every use I would rinse it with fresh, clean water. Make sure everything is dry before storing. Windex works very well to remove water spots off equipment and keep the mask clear of any residue.

Hope this helps!

Tina:14:
Scuba Sciences, Inc.

Yea every response hsa been very good soo far, key things I would say are the dry, no sun, and rinsed for storing.
I think what your instructor meant to say about the toothpaste is that it helps remove the film in a mask when you first get it, you don't need to store it with dried toothpaste in it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom