Filters vrs lighting for UW video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee Taylor

Crusty old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
200 - 499
I truely enjoy taking amateur UW photos. I realize how important the strobe is for producing quality UW photos. I use strobes.

I have been talking and studying information on UW video lately. I was told by someone that seems to be "in the know", that UW video is all about filters, and lighting is not necessary in most cases. How accurate is this statement?

UW still photos and video are two VERY different things. Think about the power of video lights vs a strobe. The strobe is MUCH brighter. That's because it only has to flash for a fraction of a second. Correlate the brightness of the strobe/light to the sun and you'll understand why few people use video lights during the day - especially in shallow water. A filter works very well on video down to about 40'-60' during the day. Beyond 60' during the day a video light set becomes useful - but has a very limited range! If you use video lights AND a filter, the background looks normal, but the foreground is too red. If you use the lights without the filter, the background is extremely blue/green. Same goes for using a filter or manual white balance with a strobe on a still camera. However because of it's added power, a strobe will be much more effective at pretty much any depth. The secret for most shots with still cameras is to expose the foreground (stuff in range of the strobe) with the strobe power setting OR f-stop -- and adjust the background exposure with the shutter speed. You can darken the background to reduce the blue/green effect. If you have very bright video lights, you can get this same effect. That's what you see in Nat Geo films. They have million watt lights (well really bright anyway!).

So -- rule of thumb for video. Get the brightest lights you can afford. Take them with you - even on day dives for close subjects at depth. Use a removable filter (remove when using lights) and always use MWB with the filter!

Hope this helps!
Mark

Thank you very much for the excellent information. You explanation confirms precisely what I had suspected. In other words, there is much more to it than what I have been hearing. With your information, proper equipment, continual education, and a lot of practice, I feel I will be well on my way to producing quality material.

Thank you again for taking the time to share this information.

Back
Top Bottom