Filtering out scooter noise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikemill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So just got done with my first attempt shooting video. I mounted it to the scooter and noticed that it picks up the motor sound really well (better than I hear it myself). Since the scooter noise is fairly regular it seems that it should be easy to filter out but I'm not sure what would be the best way to do so. I'm editing on a Win XP but also do have a macbook pro available.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks

I tested Sony's audio studio and It had a filter that would isolate a particular region of sound, and then attempt to eliminate it from the whole track.
It seemed somewhat workable, you won't be able to completely eliminate the noise without causing digital artifacts to be created where the chopping occurs.
You Will be able to mildly reduce the noise, but you may be able to reduce it just by adjusting a graphic equalizer in your editor.
I Usually just use a sound clip generated from another, quieter clip, and paste it in instead of the noisy track. You can even fade the tracks in and out as needed.:cool2:

I agree with Steve. There was a time when I would record a couple of minutes of breathing in an otherwise quiet underwater environment so that the sound of bubbles could be added to the video but now I just add a royalty free music track to enhance the video. Seems to me that it would be rather difficult to keep the camera steady while it is mounted to the scooter and I would imagine that there is some vibration as well.

MACBOOK PRO, iMovie, use audio adjustment and totally eliminate the noise. Just move the slider. easy and it doesn't effect your master.

Well after making the post I ended up switching to editing on my macbook pro and using iMovie. For the first few videos I just reduced the volume to a good level. The last two videos I've done I've just used music for all the audio.

I do like some of the scooter and other sounds and have enough storage space that it isn't that big of a deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom