Filter Results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D_Fresh

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all!

I wanted to share a quick demo of the results I received using a Flip 7 Shallow Filter for the first time. The following clip is just a test shot, with and without the filter in place, with and without color correction in post processing. I have also included screen shots of the RGB Parade scopes. The clips are 16 seconds long. I remove the filter at 0:07 and replace it at 0:12.

Camera: Apeman A80 (yes, I know, not GoPro, it's a clone....)
1080p 60fps
WB Auto
ISO Auto
120 Degrees
Tray Mounted
No Lights
Backscatter Flip 7 Shallow filter
Clear sunny sky, mid day
Depth: 9.7 meters (31 ft)

First, without color correction:

And screenshot of the RGB Parade in Premiere Pro CS6:

Filter Demo UNCorrected.jpg

With Color Correction in Premiere Pro CS6, using Fast Color Corrector and only correcting slightly to Magenta:

And again, Screenshot of the RGB Parade:

Filter Demo Corrected No LUT.jpg

Needless to say, I am really happy with the results. I know some GoPro clones have had difficulty with filters, but the A80 seems to handle it very well. I did notice a few times, in other clips, if the sunlight strongly hits the edge of the filter it can cause a red-cast for a brief moment. I imagine this is true of other cameras as well. I found the Red-Cast to be so brief that it is no problem to simply trim those couple of frames from the clip. I will also experiment with applying some electrical tape around the edge (thickness) of the filters.

Anyways, I hope this helps somebody out there. I know I was hesitant to spend on a filter system which may not fit my camera and may not generate the desired results, but I am happy so far.

Let me know what you think!

Hi,
the difference with and without filter in combination with the color correction is impressing. I also have an A80 but don't want to buy the complete filter kit, only one filter and an adapter. As the adapters are made for gp and I have to make a decision if I buy one for the gp standard housing (gp 5 - 7) or for the dive housing (gp 3 and 4). Which one of the adapters do you use on your A80?

I am using the Flip 7 filter holder. I had to file away a tiny bit of material on the inside of the "bezel clamp", but made it work no problem. I would think it should work on a real GP housing, even with my little modification.

For what it's worth, I primarily use the "shallow" dive filter about 90% of the time, using the "Deep" filter only beyond 20-ish meters, depending on sunlight penetration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom