Filter + Lights = Blown Out Reds Up Close - WB Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krukster86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

I am practicing some video editing on some old footage where I shot with the GoPro Hero 2 (no protune, auto WB) with the SRP filter on and a SOLA 1200 light shooting critters hiding in nooks and crannies or on the shadows. Naturally, when the camera is close to the subject, the red filter blows out red tint to the video light, making it look as if I was shooting with a yellow/orange light. I am trying to play around with ways of messing with White Balance using the "picker" in GoPro Studio and I haven't been able to make the light look "natural", it still has a tint to it. Other than manually removing the filter for such shots, is there a WB picker tip you guys have? I looked for something in the frame of video that should be white or is white and clicked on it.

Here is an example of a bad situation:

You are not supposed to use artificial light AND a red filter. As simple as that.

You are not supposed to use artificial light AND a red filter. As simple as that.

un-true, depends on distance to target, I use lights AND filters combined all the time, just not within or under ~4-5 feet from video subject.

Another thing is your type of light. That video up top displays what appears to be a narrow torch beam. Those can be problematic with video because they have a small, hot spot of light which screws with the cameras exposure. A video light with a wider, more uniform beam will give you better results though they won't have as an effective ability to penetrate longer distances.

Another thing is your type of light. That video up top displays what appears to be a narrow torch beam. Those can be problematic with video because they have a small, hot spot of light which screws with the cameras exposure. A video light with a wider, more uniform beam will give you better results though they won't have as an effective ability to penetrate longer distances.
Good observation. I was using a SOLA 1200 dive light that has a "wide" and a "narrow" function. I am not 100% sure which setting I used for the example up at the top, but I think I may have set it to "narrow" unknowingly, however I did notice the same blown out tint in other videos I did using the wide beam. It was only very apparent when I would get very close to the subject. If I was further out, the tint was almost unnoticeable. I guess I answered my own question there...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom