film processing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L.E.Adams

New
Reaction score
I am just getting into more photography, both above and underwater. I have the sea life reefmaster which has taken some pretty good pictures. 1st question. If you were to purchase a new camera for underwater, would you get one that is specvically underwater, like a Nikonus or a SLR that can be used in a housing?
2nd , I have heard that there is a film processing company that specializes in underwater photos. Are you all using this, what is the address/e-mail and do you think it makes a difference?

Thanks for the info.

L.E. Adams

Regarding the film processing...you are probably thinking of the Kodak mailers that they are currently advertising, where they will improve the color during printing of the photos.

But you might want to compare the price of this method of developing vs. having it at your local processor. I checked with the local Wolf Camera store and spoke to the manager about printing u/w photos. He said that he would be able to replicate what Kodak is doing by adjusting the machine to add in the colors that are "washed out" by regular photo printing. And he said that this would not be any extra charge.

So check with your local photo shop and see what they can do for you.

I had the same experience with Ritz camera. They developed some pics then started working with them to come up with the best photo. Adding and subtracting colors and doing some density work. None of the work cost me anything extra and I was happy with the results.

Tom

I'd find out where your dive shop gets their pics processed or pull out the Yellow Pages and find a shop that is familiar with processing UW photos.

I haven't tried the Kodak mailer so I don't know how good it is. I use a photo shop the folks at my LDS recommended and am very happy with the results. Plus I get my pics back within 1-2 days.

You can check out some of the results further down the board under my 'How do you post pics' thread.

Good luck with it - you're gonna have a blast.

Ditto for me, I use the local drug store and make a note to increase or balance the reds and yellows. I have been happy with the results except for the last batch, but I think that was just me taking lousy pics.
Mike

Hello,

for e6 I use a local lab and he runs my film by itself thru the machine, he puts on the white glove and give me an A+++ service job. He's dead on the money every time.

for b/w (black and white) I use a local person to devlop the film. I'm going to be starting to devlop myself before to long.

for prints I use 'the darkroom' in california, they are expecialy good at doing prints and the results are astounding.

If your doing c-41 processing then any lab can process the film. However not all labs can print the film correctly :wink: One of the new trends is to shoot c-41 film and have the film video analyzed then drum scan and do a digital print on a lightjet printer. This gives you more lattitude on the print than slides will. It's also abit more $ to.

The prints that I do is typicaly from E6 slides and I have 3 options, drum scan and print, just plain print from the 35mm film or just print to a 4x5 interneg and then print. That's order of quality from awsome (drum scan) to good (4x5 interneg)

Happy shooting!

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom