file formats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have done a search and it has answered some of my questions regarding TIFF, JPEG and RAW files but...

Can all cameras shoot in RAW format? I have a Canon A20 and I don't seem to see this. Also, as I am looking for new cameras (but not top of the line cameras as I will also be using them with students & divers who simply want to point and shoot and have a disk of their images to email to friends and I'd like to keep my costs down), will it be listed on the spec sheets? Also TIFF?

I currently get my images onto the computer, then save a copy and do all my fiddling on the copy. I save the original at the highest JPEG (12); should I be changing this format to something else instead of JPEG? And I save the copies the same way.

At present I am not using the photos for much except things that will be viewed on a computer or printed at 4x6 inch...though I have a few that I would really like to print at 8x10. I expect to be doing more printing in the new year.

I am not a tech head, though we seem to have all the gadgets and software (Photoshop 6...I think we have 7 but have not loaded it) thanks to DH. I only do the very very basics so far...will be searching this board for hints on how to do some projects for the family soon, though :)

No, not all cameras will record in RAW. I know the Oly 5050 does, the 5060 probably does, but I could say about any of the others. I'm sure someone will be along with a better answer for ya!

My Fuji S5000 will do RAW format, problem is they don't make a housing for it yet. It looks a lot like some of the Nikons but there are enough differances that the housings won't work. Hopefully Ikelite will come out with something.

Scott

OK...anyone help me with these questions?

1) will it (RAW) be listed on the spec sheets for a camera? Also TIFF? And do I need it to have these??

2) I currently get my images onto the computer, then save a copy and do all my fiddling on the copy. I save the original at the highest JPEG (12); should I be changing this format to something else instead of JPEG? And I save the copies the same way.

At present I am not using the photos for much except things that will be viewed on a computer or printed at 4x6 inch...though I have a few that I would really like to print at 8x10. I expect to be doing more printing in the new year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom