Fiji's Beqa Lagoon Resort -- trip report & photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Doug Ebersole

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
We just returned from a trip to Beqa Lagoon in Fiji. It's a long way from Florida -- flgiht to LAX, 11 hour flight from LAX to Nadi, Fiji, and then a 3 hour bus ride followed by a one hour boat ride to the resort. Note there is no dock so you wade ashore in ankle deep water. Dress accordingly! It was Fiji's winter so the weather was cool with cloudy skies, scattered rain (though it was supposed to be the “dry season”), daytime temps around 80 degrees, and water temps of 75 degrees. Here are a few topside images:

Arriving at Beqa Lagoon Resort
img_0220a.jpg

Typical bure (clean, very nice, air-conditioned, small safe, small refrigerator)
fijiaugust2009img_0370.jpg

Pool area
fijiaugust2009img_0360.jpg

Sunset from our beach-front bure
fijiaugust2009img_0262a.jpg

The diving was great with Fiji truly living up to its reputation of the “soft coral capital of the world”.

fijiaugust2009img_3870a.jpg

fijiaugust2009img_3858a.jpg

fijiaugust2009img_3783a.jpg

fijiaugust2009img_3909a.jpg

The marine life was great as well, though there was not much in the way of “big stuff”. We did not see a single turtle, eagle ray, manta ray, etc. the entire trip and the only sharks were at the “Big Fish Encounter”. Here are a few images:

fijiaugust2009img_3668a.jpg

fijiaugust2009img_3516a.jpg

fijiaugust2009img_3626a.jpg

fijiaugust2009img_3613a.jpg

fijiaugust2009img_3684a.jpg

The “World’s Largest Nudibranch” – over a foot long (seen on a night dive). Anyone know the name of this monster?

fijiaugust2009img_3680a.jpg

The “Big Fish Encounter” (another name for the shark dive where they hand feed bull sharks) was a very difficult dive from a photographic standpoint due to all of the fish, the food particles in the water, and being roped off to be away from the action. It’s worth doing, but realize it will be difficult to get good photos.

fijiaugust2009img_0522a.jpg

fijiaugust2009img_0548b.jpg

Here is a link to selected photos from the trip:

debersole.com

Thanks for posting it looks like an awesome trip. We are hoping to go in early 2011

Thnx for sharing

Couple of hints if you go. There is no dock so when you arrive at Beqa Lagoon you have to wade to shore in about ankle deep water. Dress accordingly! Also, it's dark on the property so a flashlight would be a good idea. Also on the way back most flights leave late at night but you leave the resort early morning. This means you have most of the day in Nadi. The resort can arrange a day room for you in Nadi which I'd highly recommend. It was great to have a nap, a shower, and a good meal before the long flight back to LA, then to Houston, and finally to our home in Florida.

Great stuff Doug, glad you had a good trip. I think the big nudibranch is a Spanish Dancer. ++Ken++

Ken:

Yeah, I agree. It was bigger than previous Spanish Dancers I'd seen. But with some further investigation they do get this big. Man, it was huge!

Thanks for the kind words. BTW, where are you in Southern California. I'm coming out to San Diego the evening of October 21st to dive one day there on October 22nd before a trip to Guadalupe leaving on the 23rd. Are you anywhere near San Diego and looking for a dive buddy on October 22nd? :)

Doug

Great pics and report Doug !! Looks like somewhere I need to go !!

Who was the dive operator?

Ken:

Yeah, I agree. It was bigger than previous Spanish Dancers I'd seen. But with some further investigation they do get this big. Man, it was huge!

Thanks for the kind words. BTW, where are you in Southern California. I'm coming out to San Diego the evening of October 21st to dive one day there on October 22nd before a trip to Guadalupe leaving on the 23rd. Are you anywhere near San Diego and looking for a dive buddy on October 22nd? :)

Doug

Doug

I live near the cities of Calabasas and Woodland Hills, about a two hour drive north of San Diego. Would love to dive with you on the 22nd but that day won't work for me. You will LOVE Guadalupe!! The whites are soooo beautiful and graceful. Who are you going with?

Regards,

++Ken++

We dove with Beqa Lagoon Resort (Beqa Lagoon Resort (Marlin Bay) - homepage). It was a very nice operation. You can even get a free DVD about their whole operation from their website. I would highly recommend it.

Ken -- Oh well. Thought it was at least worth a try! But now you have to let me know the next time you come to Florida! :)

Doug

Back
Top Bottom