Fiji Water Temp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

niu_roadkill

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're going to Fiji at the end of April. Any ideas what the water temp will be about that time of the year? Right now I'm planning on bringing my 3/2. i do tend to get a bit chiller earlier than most. 3/2 still okay?

Better take more neoprene. At least a beanie or hooded vest.

I was there the first of April. Just checked my log. Water temps were 83 to 86. I didn't even use a shorty.

Better take more neoprene. At least a beanie or hooded vest.

Hi Bruce....yeah looks like when we are there it will be the beginning of their winter season.....I bought a new 3mm and a beanie so I hope that is enough....I am cold natured....when I was there in July 20yrs ago I thought it was cold but I only had a 2mm farmer jane plus I am a WWW:D

We went in Jul which is their winter season and used a 3mm full wetsuit that kept us quite warm.

Regards,

Bill

Hi Bruce....yeah looks like when we are there it will be the beginning of their winter season.....I bought a new 3mm and a beanie so I hope that is enough....I am cold natured....when I was there in July 20yrs ago I thought it was cold but I only had a 2mm farmer jane plus I am a WWW:D

20 years ago it was colder. Our first trips to Fiji and Vanuatu has water temperatures in December that we're now getting in June/July! This is not to say the planetary average global sea surface tempertaure has risen 'greatly" but rather certainly there has been an increased rate of warming in the Tropics. The total volume of the oceans has 'only' warmed 0.5 degrees celsius, but this is actually huge given that the amount of energy needed to do that in just 50 years is totally incomprehensible on the human scale. My first ever tropical dive trip to Vanuatu in the 80's had 23 degrees Celsius in December (we thought that was warm compared to sunny Melbourne! But now you'd expect 27 -28 at that time of year! Something is certainly happening and we're seeing it on our lifetime...

You can dive year round in Fiji in a 3 mm suit - exception is Kadavu where a thermocline gets the water temperature down to 25 degrees celsius - here 5 mm in 'winter' is the norm for those who feel the cold. Check out also this website which has real time SST graphs for Beqa Lagoon, just south of the main island.
SST and DHW Time Series -- Fiji-Beqa

I'm cold by nature as well. I'll be bringing both a 3 mm full suit and a 5/4 full suit. I'm sure I'll get cold after a couple of days diving. I'll probably buy a beanie too.

I've never, ever been too warm on a dive, even in a 3 mm full suit in 85 f water.

I always wear a 3mm steamer for diving in Fiji. In June/July I have at times been quite cool towards the end of a dive (particularly in Kadavu). I always wear a light neoprene hood which helps. However for my next trip I have decided that I will definitely take a light undervest, probably just a 1mm neoprene or something similar, but it should be enough to make me that bit more comfortable.

Hi Blue Devil,

Your next trip to North Sulawesi should be quite a bit warmer than Fiji, both under and on the water. But in Fiji, I always find that a light,stretchy polypropylene vest adds a great deal of warmth - this has the added bonus of really keeping you warm between dives as well. Or the thermo-metallic surfies rash vests work quite well also....but be careful of the thermo metallic vests - some of them lead to wind chill - ensure you choose one that has a windproof coating over the fabric. I always try to opt for neutrally bouyant options - the less lead the better. Leisurepro currently has an Akona brand full poleofin (something like that!) suit for $64:95. This would be great either under a wetsuit or a dry suit. Little bulk, slinky smooth and black....and a Large fits me perfectly.

Just think we should consider options other than neoprene at times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom