Question Fiji Volivoli - Beqa Lagoon Resort - Nai'a Live-aboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello. I just returned on April 9, 2023 from a vacation at VoliVoli Resort and diving eight days with their on-site operation - Ra Divers. The resort facilities, rooms, and food are all top-shelf excellent. Best of all is their staff in all areas of their operations. The nicest and sweetest human beings on the planet! As awesome as the diving is in the Bligh Straits, the Fiji people were the best part of the trip. The Kiwi owners and their children and grandchildren were all present too. They're all like family with the staff.
The water this season has been unusually warmer than normal and has caused some minor bleaching of hard coral, but I didn't know the difference as it was my first trip to Fiji. It was all wonderful and hard to imagine an area that has the abundant fish life as the Bligh Straits, which is the area you dive there. The water averaged around 84F. I wore a 3mm short sleeve top on the first day and quickly abandoned it for a rash guard the rest of the trip and never felt cold. I run a bit hot though. Folks in full 3mm wetsuits were complaining of being too hot though! But their winter is on the horizon and they said the hard coral colors will rebound quickly. The soft coral appeared unaffected and stunning.
There are numerous dive sites that are 10-15 minutes away, but 'most' of the sites I liked the most were further out on the way to or in the Marine Park. The water was clearer out that way than closer to the resort. The current or lack of current coincides closely with the tides and I was there during a full moon, so extreme tides and changes in the current - sometimes during the dive. Most are not drift dives, rather dive in one direction of the reef and then return. But we had two drift dives and one dive where we kicked against the current going out, then had to kick against the current going back because the tide had flipped directions. Some dives had no current. I wouldn't recommend the Bligh Straits for a beginner diver but don't consider them hard dives either. Some beginners were struggling a bit at times with the erratic (at times) current.
There were always more life on the current side of the reefs, so the leeward current sides were less hectic with fish but still there. There is so much floating biota in the water and the reason for the abundant fish life, but it also affects vis.
Depending on the dive site and also current or leeward side of the reef, the visibility varied greatly. A few of the worst vis dives were ~ 40-60 feet on one side and more like 60-100 feet on the other side. The vis seemed more like 100-150 feet or further in the Marine Park but I'm not an expert on such matters. On average, I'd say to expect visibility to average 60-100 feet. Just my estimate and talking with others.
We encountered the Nai'a live aboard whenever in the Marine Park and were diving the same sites they were...at different times as the boat drivers coordinate with each other and are friendly and courteous. Ra Divers are the only land-based dive operation in the Bligh Straits so it was us and a couple live aboards. Ra Divers uses 3 dive boats and also has a snorkel boat and a fishing boat. I wouldn't think it worthwhile to dive with Ra Divers and then take a week on a live aboard in the Bligh Straits as you'd be diving the same sites. Everyone I talked to who were experienced, split their time between VoliVoli (or Nai'a) and a trip to Taveuni to drift dive the Rainbow Reef. I was told it is very different and more large sea life. We didn't see too many big creatures in the Bligh Straits except for a shark dive (Breath Taker). I saw four large sharks on that dive. Some in our group said they saw more.
Wananavu (swp?) across the bay from VoliVoli is being renovated by a resort company and is expected to open with dive operations in another year or so. But I highly recommend all aspects of VoliVoli and would return there if I wanted to dive the Bligh Straits again. I already miss their people!
We are planning our 2-week long trip to Fiji in May, and considering staying a week at Volivoli Resort or Beqa Lagoon Resort and then take a 7-day trip on Nai'a. If you had fairly resent experience of diving with Volivoli or Beqa Lagoon Resorts I will appreciate sharing it. Links to videos will be great as well.

Regarding diving with Nai'a, I understand that some dives could be quite challenging due to currents, which concerns me because my wife is not a very experienced diver (AOW with 50+ dives). Could you please share your experience?

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0473.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8501.jpg
    IMG_8501.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9423.jpg
    IMG_9423.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 50
I have been researching somewhere to dive and stay for the shark dives in Pacific Harbor, and Beqa Lagoon and Uprising Beach Resort continue to get really poor reviews on Tripadvisor.

We are planning our 2-week long trip to Fiji in May, and considering staying a week at Volivoli Resort or Beqa Lagoon Resort and then take a 7-day trip on Nai'a. If you had fairly resent experience of diving with Volivoli or Beqa Lagoon Resorts I will appreciate sharing it. Links to videos will be great as well.

Regarding diving with Nai'a, I understand that some dives could be quite challenging due to currents, which concerns me because my wife is not a very experienced diver (AOW with 50+ dives). Could you please share your experience?

Many thanks in advance.
Hello,
Did you take your trip on the Nai’i? Mantas or sharks? How was it?

I just spent a week at Volivoli resort early January and plan to go back this year. I had a stellar experience; absolutely gorgeous resort with one of the best dive ops I’ve ever experienced. The food was spectacular! 🤣 I ate more than I dived!
I'm planning a trip there and have read concerns about drinking the water at Volivoli. Since they don't provide complimentary bottled water, one must buy it (expensive) on site or drink their water which is bore/untreated groundwater or rainwater. Did you or anyone from your group get ill or have stomach problems?

I'm planning a trip there and have read concerns about drinking the water at Volivoli. Since they don't provide complimentary bottled water, one must buy it (expensive) on site or drink their water which is bore/untreated groundwater or rainwater. Did you or anyone from your group get ill or have stomach problems?
My recollection is that bottled water (Fiji, of course) was left in the room every day, and the day boats have water. We travel with aluminum bottles that we filled from a station in the restaurant after meals. We had no issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom