Question Fiji Volivoli - Beqa Lagoon Resort - Nai'a Live-aboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laval

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are planning our 2-week long trip to Fiji in May, and considering staying a week at Volivoli Resort or Beqa Lagoon Resort and then take a 7-day trip on Nai'a. If you had fairly resent experience of diving with Volivoli or Beqa Lagoon Resorts I will appreciate sharing it. Links to videos will be great as well.

Regarding diving with Nai'a, I understand that some dives could be quite challenging due to currents, which concerns me because my wife is not a very experienced diver (AOW with 50+ dives). Could you please share your experience?

Many thanks in advance.

Watching this thread because I am considering VoliVoli

I just spent a week at Volivoli resort early January and plan to go back this year. I had a stellar experience; absolutely gorgeous resort with one of the best dive ops I’ve ever experienced. The food was spectacular! 🤣 I ate more than I dived!

I just spent a week at Volivoli resort early January and plan to go back this year. I had a stellar experience; absolutely gorgeous resort with one of the best dive ops I’ve ever experienced. The food was spectacular! 🤣 I ate more than I dived!
Great to hear this! Thank you for sharing about your experience. If you have photos or video, it will be great if you can share them.

We are planning our 2-week long trip to Fiji in May, and considering staying a week at Volivoli Resort or Beqa Lagoon Resort and then take a 7-day trip on Nai'a. If you had fairly resent experience of diving with Volivoli or Beqa Lagoon Resorts I will appreciate sharing it. Links to videos will be great as well.

Regarding diving with Nai'a, I understand that some dives could be quite challenging due to currents, which concerns me because my wife is not a very experienced diver (AOW with 50+ dives). Could you please share your experience?

Many thanks in advance.

I spent a week diving with Nai'a about 3 years ago. It was a great experience. I was on a rebreather (the only diver not on open circuit) and they let me have a lot of freedom.

In terms of currents, I would say there were three types of dives:

1) No current - There were quite a few dives that would start out on a wall and cruise along at your own pace and then profile up the wall to a flat area at 50-60' for the rest of the dive. Very manageable and easy diving.

2) Current but not a drift dive - There were a couple dives where current definitely picked up. For example, rounding a corner on a reef structure. Granted, I had a rebreather and bailout so my profile was larger. We probably had 3-4 of these types of dives during the whole week.

3) Current but drift - There is a famous site where you get dropped off outside an inlet and go with the flow of the current in a drift dive. So, there is current, but you don't really have to work against it.

They will usually know before the dive and can give you some idea of what the current situation will be like. I would think your wife will be fine and she can always sit out a dive if there is likely to be a raging current.

As always, YMMV and it could also be seasonally dependent. Enjoy the trip.

- brett

I spent a week diving with Nai'a about 3 years ago. It was a great experience. I was on a rebreather (the only diver not on open circuit) and they let me have a lot of freedom.

In terms of currents, I would say there were three types of dives:

1) No current - There were quite a few dives that would start out on a wall and cruise along at your own pace and then profile up the wall to a flat area at 50-60' for the rest of the dive. Very manageable and easy diving.

2) Current but not a drift dive - There were a couple dives where current definitely picked up. For example, rounding a corner on a reef structure. Granted, I had a rebreather and bailout so my profile was larger. We probably had 3-4 of these types of dives during the whole week.

3) Current but drift - There is a famous site where you get dropped off outside an inlet and go with the flow of the current in a drift dive. So, there is current, but you don't really have to work against it.

They will usually know before the dive and can give you some idea of what the current situation will be like. I would think your wife will be fine and she can always sit out a dive if there is likely to be a raging current.

As always, YMMV and it could also be seasonally dependent. Enjoy the trip.

- brett
Thank you for very useful information, Brett. I appreciate it very much. Val

Many thanks in advance.
About 4 years ago, I was recommended VoliVoli over Beqa Lagoon by an experienced dive instructor who had been to Beqa Lagoon several times and said she would not go back because they had let it become dilapidated and run down. She highly recommended VoliVoli to me and I was going to go in 2020 but that got cancelled. Finally leaving for VoliVoli in 2 days and will return on April 9. My first trip there!

Been to Beqa 3 times. It is not run down. Beautiful Resort. Great Food. Wonderful staff. Excellent operation and a truly unique and amazing location. There are numerous wreck dives, the famous tiger shark dives and healthy thriving reefs. Just returned from Savusavu this week. It recently saw some bleaching near the Cousteau Resort, but the marine reserve was amazing and the reefs further east of Savusavu were great too.

Been to Beqa 3 times. It is not run down. Beautiful Resort. Great Food. Wonderful staff. Excellent operation and a truly unique and amazing location. There are numerous wreck dives, the famous tiger shark dives and healthy thriving reefs. Just returned from Savusavu this week. It recently saw some bleaching near the Cousteau Resort, but the marine reserve was amazing and the reefs further east of Savusavu were great too.
When was the last time you visited Beqa? We were there in 2019 and shared your highly positive impressions. However, our friends were there 2 weeks after Beqa reopened after Covid, and found it ran down. Food was very humble, no fruit at all, and moreover, their boat sunk during surface interval. Some private yacht happened to be there and picked them out of water, then dropped off at the nearby shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom