Fiji questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wolfgirl

Registered
Reaction score
We're taking a trip to Fiji in early October, and wanted to ask a few questions. We'll be on Beqa (Marlin Bay) for the 1st part, and Taveuni (Maravu Plantation, on the North end) for the 2nd part.

1) What's the water temperature at that time of the year? Will we need wetsuits, or will lycras suffice?

2) Can we do any shore dives from either place, particularly from Taveuni? (trying to save money)

3) Is Aquaventure a good dive operation?

4) Has anyone done the shark dive? Would you recommend it?

Anything else we should know?

Thanks in advance!

I've dived Fiji in November a couple of years ago - we wore shorties, but the DM just wore a t-shirt and shorts. Not sure of the actual temps.

wolfgirl once bubbled...
We're taking a trip to Fiji in early October, and wanted to ask a few questions. We'll be on Beqa (Marlin Bay) for the 1st part, and Taveuni (Maravu Plantation, on the North end) for the 2nd part.

1) What's the water temperature at that time of the year? Will we need wetsuits, or will lycras suffice?

Two weeks ago, the water temperature in the Bligh Water (north of Viti Levu) was 80F. Divers were in everything from T-shirts to 3 or 4 millimeter full wet suits.

I did the shark dive three times and loved it. It's not just about sharks, but many other fish as well -- especially the big jacks (1m). Having said that, we saw as many as seven species of sharks on one dive, including a 4m tiger shark.

Advise you take at least a 3mm wetsuit, light gloves, and maybe even a beanie or hood. The currents can make you cold.

Have a great time!

bengiddins gurgled...
shudder....
Yeah. A couple of eagle rays came through and I swam over the feeding frenzy (about 10m below me) to get a better look. I saw something out of the corner of my eye, and turned to find the tiger shark checking me out.

I'm almost never scared of anything under the water anymore, but *that* got my attention.

Beware of the titan trigger fish in Fiji, too. Vicious buggers.

g2 once bubbled...

Beware of the titan trigger fish in Fiji, too. Vicious buggers.

Only the females when they're nesting. Their nasty behavior isn't confined only to Fiji.

hi
temperature in October is about 26C or about 80F (less my calculations are wrongs about conversion) and I found that a lycra was good enough for me, though my buddy needed a 3mm full suit. Guess it depends how fast your body loses heat. Shore diving off Taveuni in the Somosomo strait was okay...though the best diving is definitely off shore at places such a the great white wall, ribbon eel reef (I think that was what it was called) and even small white wall.
Diving there is very nice as long as you catch the slack tide, cos some other divers we saw got caught up in the tide change (tidal current can reach up to 7knots!!) and basically had to be picked up about 500m down from the boat after just a few minutes...yeah...don't forget your sausages! :)
Hope this helps
Jeff

Oh yeah...I saw tigers there too...but was more scared of the titan who tried to bite my mask...hopefully it was attacking it's reflection and not me :p

Will also be in Fiji in October but haven't decided where to stay as yet. What decided you on Marlin Bay & Maravu?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom