Fiji-?, New Guinea-?, or Micronesia-?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Sherry

You will like the Solomons. Not as good as PNG, but pretty amazing all the same (either way, beats the hell out of Cozumel!)

I am off to Tahiti in 7 weeks, and I'm not counting either!!! :hula:

Better start packing!

Jim

Originally posted by dolphin blue
Thanks Jim

I'm really looking forward to diving the Solomon Islands in 9 weeks but who's counting :wink:
Thanks again
Sherry

Be careful in the Solomons. Indicators of new troubles there are emerging.

Thanks Scuba Jim

Tahiti sounds nice :wink: Haven't been there yet would love to hear what you think once you return.Have you been to the Cook Islands as i'm thinking that they might be the next adventure.

Thanks Donacheson.

Thanks for that new info hadn't heard anything lately there was somethings a few months back. A friend was there then.
This is a 3rd yr of trying to get there but each time the Australian Government has put out a warning not to travel there,I will have to go check out if they have posted any new warnings. If you have any info it would be greatfully appreciated.

Maybe we should have a back up plan organised ;-0 we have had it for the last attempts but we thought we were safe this time.
Any suggestions greatly accepted. :wink:

Thanks all
see you on the bottom sometime.:)
Sherry

Hi Scuba Jim

What dates are you going to be in Tahiti????

We are going (for our belated Honeymoon) the third week in September for around 16 days. We'll be on Manihi, Bora Bora and possibly a few days in Tikehau.

I apologize Caymaniac ..... didn’t mean to deviate from your thread topic....so here's the thread we started on the Tahiti topic.

Scuba Jim any words of wisdom????:)

Hope to hear from you soon!!!!!!!
Scott and Robin

http://www.scubaboard.com/t11457/s.html

So many kveschuns! :)

Hi Sherry

I have not been to the Cooks, though I have heard the diving there is nice, but not as good as other countries in the region, such as Tahiti & Fiji. Regarding the Solomons, I had a client there in late May/early July on Spirit of Solomons and he said everything was fine, even his night in Honiara. There's ALWAYS something brewing in the Solomons, but they manage to keep the lid on it!

Hi Scott & Robin

I am going to go to Rurutu in the south to hopefully see humpbacks from 16-20 Sept, then I am on the first Tahiti Aggressor trip from 21-27 Sept and then my wife is flying out and we are going to be in Taha'a from 28 Sept - 01 Oct and the Bora Bora from 01-06 Oct. Where are you staying in Bora Bora? We are at the Eden Beach, as my wife needs a few days of complete RnR before the journey home to our 2 young children!!!!

I have never been before - this is a trip I arranged to check out the sights & sounds. So you are as much in the dark as me!! Though I do know that Tikehau & Manihi are very similar (to Rangiroa also!) I have heard Tikehau & Raiatea are very nice, similar to Bora Bora but without the crowds. Let me know when you wil be in Bora Bora. Maybe we can meet up if we coincide!

Regards
Jim

Originally posted by dolphin blue
If you have any info it would be greatfully appreciated.

While I was in Fiji last week, another diver told me about an article in a Fiji newspaper stating (1) that the Solomons government had not paid an Australian supplier of diesel fuel and that he had cut them off, resulting in a power outage in Honiara and (2) that a local strongman was soliciting "donations" from businesses in the Solomons.

Its okay to deviate, its always interesting to learn about new places.
Does anyone know if there are cuttlefish in Fiji?
Thanks,
Caymaniac:)

First off ....Thanks Caymaniac for letting us "intrude" on your thread.... I hear you about learning about other places.....just wish the South Pacific was a tad closer than it is.....too many places that need to get explored!!!! :)

Scuba Jim.....Whats the word on Taha'a....... thats another atoll we had thought about visiting .... however there is not alot of info on the atoll I guess because it has just opened up.

We are still finalizing the trip and have 3-4 days to either extend stays on the Manihi or Bora Bora or jump to another Island. Right now I'm thinking experiencing another Island .... Tikehau and Taha'a being on the list (dont know when we'll get back and want to see different things without being constantly on the move and living out of a suitcase).

Oh yeah....Bora Bora we are staying at the Sofitel Motu.....not absolutely sure of the dates .... but I think we may be there during the same time period...we'll keep you informed!!! :thumb:

Great talking with you!!!!

Scott

Yes, sorry Caymaniac!

But yes, you should see cuttlefish in Fiji! :)

Scott,

I have heard nice things about Taha'a. We are staying at the new Pearl Beach Resort and they open their dive shop in mid/late-August. I believe the island is very unspoilt and has a lot of wonderful scenery and history. Also, being next to Raiatea you get to visit 2 island at the same time, as it were.

I would have thought Taha'a would be more interesting than Tikehau merely because Tikehau & Manihi are so similar. There are direct flights between Bora Bora & Raiatea (you fly to Raiatea to get to Taha'a) on a daily basis, so it's easy.

I don't know much about the Sofitel. We are staying at the Eden Beach, which is a Pearl Beach resort but a real eco-friendly one and very remote. (Get away from the peasants!)

Let me know your dates!

All the best
Jim

Hi Jim

Good point about the similarities of Tikehau to Manihi.....may have to discuss this with the "Boss" and the travel agent. There are just so many places to see and not near enough time to do any of them justice.....

Robin and I picked the "Motu" on a whim ....as you best put it … to get away from the rest of the world......"Eden" had not even been opened yet when we made our plans over a year ago..... Since then we have talked to many that have been on the “Motu” and they have all had nothing but praise for it.....to the point one of Robins friends has been there several times in its short existence. I was a little concerned with its remoteness (the Motu is a couple of miles off the southeast corner of Bora Bora and is only a few acres in size) but we have access to a shuttle boat that will take us anywhere??? at anytime....no charge. I've also read that that some of the best snorkeling is right off the over water bungalows and in the surrounding waters…..I guess we’ll see!!!!!

It was very hard to pick a place as it seems very few can suggest where to stay as they have no “practical knowledge” of the location. Hopefully both of us have selected winners!!!!!!

Do you have any insight as to which dive companies are the best to deal with????

Naturally on Manihi we will dive with Blue Nui…..and they do have a dive operation on Bora Bora…however it is on the Northwest corner of the island…..so we’ll need to figure that one out.

Till next time....
Scott:thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom