Fiji - Dive Master Internship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fiyx

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been planning on becoming a dive instructor for the last five years, and now after finishing a marine biology degree and saving up enough money I'm (FINALLY!) in a place where I can do this. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice regarding dive internships in Fiji? As after a lot..of internet research, I can only seem to find one that lasts longer than a month, and ideally I would of preferred to go up to 3+ months to gain more experience before then going on to to an instructor course. I'm currently only an open water diver.

I would really appreciate any help, thanksyou:)

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,
Great to hear you are contemplating a career in diving! You are definitely right that you would need more than a month to get up to Instructor. For a start you will need at least 100 dives (60 for DM) and some maths suggests you are going to need far more time. (Of course you may well have accumulated lots of dives during your degree so..) From my own experiences of teaching diving for nearly 28 years, on and off, and having seen many instructors of all varieties, the best are usually those with greater experience. OK, you have to start somewhere, but rushing at Instructor might not be the best plan. give yourself time to get really comfortable with being a DM especially in a teaching environment. Some take to it faster than others of course.
Well lecture aside, Fiji is a hard place to find an internship, but not impossible. Problem 1 is you can't get a work permit without a job, and that puts off many potential operators who also prefer to work with locals as they are fairly sure of getting a better return..... Work permits as a DM are almost impossible as there are usually plenty of locals to fill the jobs. I can PM you the details of some operators who may turn a blind eye to the work permit issue and take you on a tourist visa. Work permits apply to unpaid work as well as salaried but as long as yo stay under the radar....

Hmmm. Well there is an alternative, which is to contact Greenforce and see if they have an opportunity. They operate a conservation project in Fiji and need Marine Biologists on a regular basis. The tour is generally a year and you would get loads of dive experience as well as the chance to get you DM done as there is always at least 1 and usually 2 instructors on the project. IDC's are run at least once a year in Fiji.

Good luck.
Let me know if you want any more info.
Greg

I really like Greg's suggestion. More diving spread out over a year would do wonders in preparing you for a dive career rather than just,class certification, class certification. Plus you could network while living there and arrange a dive job when you finish your tour of duty. And, you have your work permit :cool2:

Thank you so much, that's really really helped. I seriously wasn't expecting such a quick and detailed response (bit of a newbie to internet forums). I've just applied to go on GVI's 6month divemaster program in the Yasawa Islands (3months dive research techniques and 3 months interning in a dive shop). Not sure how much networking I can do there..although they do say successful interns may be offered jobs in the company. If not, will see what work I could get as a divemaster/ research diver for a few years around Australasia to build up my experience before going on an instructor course.

Thanks for all the advice. 1 more question..Any advice on where to get all my dive kit? I need the whole package..should be flying out early April.

Hi
GVI are good. Interested to see what you make of them....
We can supply all your gear in Fiji if you want or you may well prefer to buy some in the UK especially a wetsuit and mask as they tend to be a bit personal wrt fit. Most people dive in 3mm suits in Fiji. Water temp varies from 23-29 degC
Water temp in Fiji
Getting a 3mm hood is smart as that will keep you toasty if you ever do feel a bit chill.
If you are interested in Scubapro gear, we stock lots of it in Fiji. We also keep Suunto computers

Safe diving
Greg

Thank you so much, that's really really helped. I seriously wasn't expecting such a quick and detailed response (bit of a newbie to internet forums). I've just applied to go on GVI's 6month divemaster program in the Yasawa Islands (3months dive research techniques and 3 months interning in a dive shop). Not sure how much networking I can do there..although they do say successful interns may be offered jobs in the company. If not, will see what work I could get as a divemaster/ research diver for a few years around Australasia to build up my experience before going on an instructor course.

Thanks for all the advice. 1 more question..Any advice on where to get all my dive kit? I need the whole package..should be flying out early April.

Hey im going to be doing the 6month divemaster internship in the Yasawa Islands too, any information you can give me? im excited but a little bit concerned about the amount of money and whether it would be worth it, id love to know everything and anything you have heard from them. Also do you have to get your own gear before you go?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom