FG trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for 8 more swampers to join me on a Flower Gardens trip August 1-3 on the Spree. PM me for more details.

I have no financial interest in this tip. I just would like a group of friends to enjoy a fun trip together.

TwoBit

I've had a few intersted parties.

I'm going, and TexasMike is going.

If you plan on going please speak up.

Keep in mind as mentioned in other threads about the Gardens.

This is an advanced dive. There can be strong current and moderate wave action. Its great fun but it is not a place for a new diver. Be patient. As long as there are divers who want to go, there will be boats going.

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn once bubbled...
This is an advanced dive. There can be strong current and moderate wave action. Its great fun but it is not a place for a new diver.

I'm interested. But have never dived in current and have limited SW experience. Let me give you my experience, etc and let you see if you think I might could handle the Flower Gardens.

I was Advanced certified with NAUI about 4 years ago. Mostly I did the mud puddles here in NE Texas (about once a month when I was diving.)

Three years ago I took a Liveaboard on the Great Barrier Reef (Mike Ball - Cod Hole. Some 12 dives or so). There was some mild current on the last dive which I had to fight. Unsuccesfully in my opion as my air only lasted about 20 min or so.

Unfortunatly, since that time I have only done one or two lake dives. On the other hand I have lost 60 lbs or so and am in much better shape than I was then. Also I should note that my dive shop has change agencies (PADI now I think) and I'm planning to take a refresher course this summer, though I can't guarantee that it will be before the trip (I'm looking into that now.)

The reason I'm interested in the FG is that I'm getting ready for a Thailand trip next year and have the bug bad to get back in the water. Because I have such limited SW experiece, and didn't want that fact to get in the way of the Thailand trip. I'm wanting to do as many SW dives as I can in the next 18 months or so, without depleating my finaces set aside for my trip of course. Because of the rates, and location, the FG looks like a good way to do that IF I can handle the currents.

Sorry to go on.... but I wanted you to have a good idea where I was coming from.

Thanks. Looking forward to the opinions of the group.

:creeper:

DL....With your experience, I honestly don't think you should go out to the FG just yet. 100 miles offshore isn't the place to be to get into trouble. There are other SW dives available closer to shore and in less extreme conditions. Have you thought of a one day rig trip? You'll still have the high chance of getting into some currents but in a more controlled manor.

Better yet, go to Panama City, Florida. It's a 10hr drive from Houston and very affordable. We go there frequently. A lot of the dive sites are less than 10 miles offshore so you don't have such strong currents, long boat rides and the wrecks and rigs are very nice.

The best scenario is a trip to Cozumel! :eek:ut:

Well Dee - you answered my question (that I'd been thinking about asking ..) I wasn't sure when and if I might be ready for the FG's, but now I realize I need to get alot more blue water under my belt before considering that trip .... but we are trying to line up Panama City next (2004) May or June, so glad to hear you think it's a good trip!!

Dee once bubbled...
Better yet, go to Panama City, Florida. It's a 10hr drive from Houston and very affordable. We go there frequently. A lot of the dive sites are less than 10 miles offshore so you don't have such strong currents, long boat rides and the wrecks and rigs are very nice.

The best scenario is a trip to Cozumel! :eek:ut:

Mapquest puts it at just over 12 hours (more if you count lunch and potty breaks), each way, from Longview Texas. I'll consider that for a long weekend if I can find a dive buddy. thanx

As for theday trip rigs you mentioned... How do I find out more information about them? This is the first I've heard of that option. Sounds like a cheap way to get some SW time. My dive shop usually just goes to a local lake.

Lastly, I thought about going to Coz as you suggested and just last month decided to do Thailand instead. I priced flights from DFW to both Coz and Thailand and, believe it or not, Thailand is cheaper. (example: Per Travelocity today; RT-air, DFW-COZ=$603, DFW-BKK=$590) Granted, it's only $13, but it just doesn't seem right to spend more money going on a trip to get ready for a trip that costs less.:confused:

Plus the cool factor of getting a t-shirt that says "Phuket" :nono:

:creeper:

My spot is guaranteed and so is Texas Mikes. We have sent in $$. There are 8 spots left open, but someone just called for 4. They are not paid for yet.

If you want to go you need to get your money in NOW.

TwoBit

Back
Top Bottom