Few questions about DSS equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PSKmustang

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Tobin,

New user and new to scuba diving. I want to get back into diving (got out of it due to expenses at the time, a bit more $$ to work with now). I would pretty much just rent and go each time I would dive 2 years ago. I would like to start moving into purchasing my own equipment. The first piece I have decided to get is a BP/W system.

I have done a bit of reading on multiple forums and am considering a DSS system. I especially like the STA less design as well as your customer support on the forums. My budget is limited so I would like a recommended rig and cost if you don't mind.

I live in Miami, Fl and will be mostly be diving in South Florida, the Keys, and the Bahamas, so warm water diving. Recreational diving, open water. I may dive with a wetsuit when I can get around to purchasing one, but its definitely going to be on the backburner behind the rest of my equipment. I am 6'2", ~220lbs.

Aside from purchasing the BP/W, I will be renting/borrowing the rest of my equipment. So sometimes it may be aluminum tanks and sometimes stainless steel (single at the moment). I would like to incorporate ditchable weights. I would definitely prefer to use as small a wing as possible. I would also like a crotch strap to have as snug a fit as possible. Also, if for some reason I decide to dive doubles in the future, will the BP allow me to do so as well with singles?

If there is any other info I can provide, please let me know. If you prefer to talk this over on PM, feel free to shoot one over.

Hi Tobin,

New user and new to scuba diving. I want to get back into diving (got out of it due to expenses at the time, a bit more $$ to work with now). I would pretty much just rent and go each time I would dive 2 years ago. I would like to start moving into purchasing my own equipment. The first piece I have decided to get is a BP/W system.

I have done a bit of reading on multiple forums and am considering a DSS system. I especially like the STA less design as well as your customer support on the forums. My budget is limited so I would like a recommended rig and cost if you don't mind.

I live in Miami, Fl and will be mostly be diving in South Florida, the Keys, and the Bahamas, so warm water diving. Recreational diving, open water. I may dive with a wetsuit when I can get around to purchasing one, but its definitely going to be on the backburner behind the rest of my equipment. I am 6'2", ~220lbs.

Aside from purchasing the BP/W, I will be renting/borrowing the rest of my equipment. So sometimes it may be aluminum tanks and sometimes stainless steel (single at the moment). I would like to incorporate ditchable weights. I would definitely prefer to use as small a wing as possible. I would also like a crotch strap to have as snug a fit as possible. Also, if for some reason I decide to dive doubles in the future, will the BP allow me to do so as well with singles?

If there is any other info I can provide, please let me know. If you prefer to talk this over on PM, feel free to shoot one over.

PSK,

At 6'2" you need a Large back plate.

In warm water the choice of plate material is largely a function of the cylinder material, with buoyant aluminum cylinders a Stainless plate is useful, with negative steel tanks a SS plate will overweight you making kydex a better choice.

Wing size is mostly a function of the buoyancy of your exposure suit. What is heaviest suit you plan use with this BP&W?

DSS back plates can be used with either single tanks or doubles.

Tobin

Thanks for the reply Tobin. As for suit, since its warm waters, I will be going with as thin as possible, so 2/3 full suit is what I am shooting for.

Thanks for the reply Tobin. As for suit, since its warm waters, I will be going with as thin as possible, so 2/3 full suit is what I am shooting for.

Thin suits + al 80's

Large SS plate
Hogarthian Harness
Torus 17 wing
(cambands and wedge block included)

Thin suits + typical steel tank
Large Kydex plate
Hogarthian Harness
Torus 17 wing
(cambands and wedge blocks included)

Proper weighting is key, avoid the temptation to dive over weighted and try to compensate with a larger wing

Tobin

Thanks for the reply. Can you quote me a price via PM. Need to run the number through the wife hahahaha. I will go with the steel bc I will most lokely be borrowing alums.

Back
Top Bottom