Fenjohn Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

urmaddad

Contributor
Reaction score
fenjohn1.jpgfenjohn2.jpg
I recently acquired these two photographs, both of which have the name Fenjohn UPECO written on the back. Apparently Fenjohn was an early 1950's manufacturer of underwater housings for still and movie cameras as well as some self-contained underwater cameras. They also manufactured some diving equipment. Does anyone know whatever happened to Fenjohn? Were they bought up by another company, or did they go out of business?

Apparently Fenjohn was an early 1950's manufacturer of underwater housings for still and movie cameras as well as some self-contained underwater cameras. They also manufactured some diving equipment.
They imported and sold diving masks and wet suits, e.g.
01.jpg
Plenty more Fenjohn advertisements on the Skin Diving History site at
Skin Diving History - FenJohn - Mfg & Retailers

Article here by somebody who has processed Fenimore Johnson's photographs:
PACSCL Hidden Collections Processing Project » Blog Archive » E.R. Fenimore Johnson–a potentially explosive collection at Academy of Natural Sciences

Nice pics.So you bid on them not knowing what they were? Your the guy that outbid me on them. Sorry can't help. Send me the pics I'll see what I can do.LOL. See ya glpmmp.

Fenimore Johnson is mentioned in several WW11 early books as a USN officer and an early member of the UDT--might find him mentioned in Doug Fane's book...

After WW11 he was an eastern US dive operator and early UW camera manufacture. His cameras never caught on with the diving communiy. His 2-1/4 X 2-1/4 was in competition with the Rolliemarine which housed a Rolleiflex , and his 16 MM movie camera which housed a 50 foot roll GEZAP camera was in competion with the 100 foot roll Samson.

A review of your pictures does not reveal anything out of the ordinary for that eara..just a diver dressed in a dry suit ready to dive. The dry suit is known to me and has has a unique top valve. The diver appears to be wearing some sort of a PFV.

SDM

The dry suit is known to me and has has a unique top valve. SDM

The suit looks like what is described in the 1955 edition of "Dive" by Rick and Barbara Carrier as the "Captain Cousteau Constant Volume Suit", developed by the great man in 1946 and marketed by US Divers. You can get a closer look at the suit, and more information about its history, on this web page:
1945 La Spirotechnique
Here is a picture of Cousteau himself wearing the suit:

Attachments

• 82477d1284673319-what-do-you-think-hydroglove-drysuits-80749137.jpg
    82477d1284673319-what-do-you-think-hydroglove-drysuits-80749137.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 428
Thanks for the images of the early model La Spirotechnique Constant Volume suits. I dove one of the late-model black vulcanized suits… no surprise it never proved very popular. Hanes Keller and Peter Small used this suit on the record setting 1000' bounce dive off Catalina in the 1960s. I am not sure if he used it on earlier deep dives, but probably did since there was no other product readily available.

I never realized the early models were made from such an unusual material. Does anyone have a clue what it was? This post prompted me to look at photos in Cousteau’s The Silent World, and there is a B&W image of this early suit.

This is the father of modern drysuits. I don’t recall any real progress in drysuit design for Scuba divers until the Poseidon Unisuit came out in the mid-late 1960s. As you can tell from the images, the Constant Volume suit didn’t have a neck seal or a separate inflation valve. You filled the suit to prevent squeeze by letting air leak past your lips or blowing out your nose to overpressure the maks cavity. It was really dangerous in Scuba because your only option if you ran out of air was to pull the faceplate off and breathe thru your nose. Since the face seal on the mask is designed for external pressure, you could easily fill the suit with water if you allowed your head to go more than a few inches underwater.

My one experience was especially bad because I was too short for the suit and the hood tended to lift off unless I cinched the neck strap down too tight for comfort. Talk about a claustrophobia machine!

By the ankles, is that an OPV or a shark repellent holder?

If I remember correctly, the much newer suit I used had simple non-adjustable mushroom valves. I do recall significant chest squeeze when head-down — added breathing resistance, not a tissue damage squeeze. They also didn’t protrude nearly as far. There may even have been a duck-bill valve on the head-piece, but I may be confusing a different suit.

Nobody would have dreamed that drysuits would dominate cold water recreational diving and be marginalized in commercial diving at that time. The hot water suit was around (for commercial divers), but it was hard for people to wrap their minds around going to such expense to keep divers warm. That ended when the market for $aturation diving came along.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom