Female divemasters/instructors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BabyFugu

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to go spend 6-7 months in Thailand and will be taking the courses to move up to Dive Master and ultimately to Instructor in the long run.

However, after this Thailand time, it is looking very likely that my husband's job will transfer him to Dubai for work.

I'm wondering whether there is a market for female dive instructors in Dubai, specifically targetting ladies who want to learn how to dive but don't want to (or are not allowed to) learn from male instructors?

From what I've read the dive industry there is sort of male dominated (which of course is not surprising) but I'm wondering whether I may be able to make use of an instructor license there?

Hm ... I'd like to know that too.

The PADI employment boards see frequent "female instructor needed" posts for that area... I always let my imagination take that as they just want hotties, but the OP makes a very valid point. That would make sense.

lol @ tregrrr on the 'hotties' comment....

But yes, I've seen a few ads too on the employment boards but thought I would ask here anyway to see if any female divers on the forum had the inside scoop. Seems a lot of the jobs would prefer someone who can also speak Arabic (which ain't me)...

One of the ads said that base salary is US $800 a month. I wonder if this is average for DIs in Dubai?

Hi,

There are a bunch of female instructors and DM's out here.
The biggest problem is money, dont expect to earn alot! I would have said that the $800 quoted above is about right if you go to work for a dive centre, although if you work as an independant instructor then you can obviously make more although logistics can prove to be problematic.
One of the plus points about being a female instructor out here is the ability to instruct with Emirati/Arab ladies who are not comfortable being taught by a male.
I would advise getting your instructor rating as soon as possible as that is the only real way that you could earn any money at all - DM's normally just get boat trips for free.
You could also get in touch with some of the operators out here, google the following :

Al Boom Diving - Dubai Coast
Pavillion Dive Centre - Jumeirah Beach Hotel - Dubai Coast

JAL hotel dive centre - Fujeirah coast
Freestyle Divers - Fujeirah coast
Divers Down - Fujeirah Coast
Coastal Technical Divers - Fujeirah Coast

Some of these guys should be able to give you some more insights...

Hope this helps

Jon

You'll want to be instructor cert. for sure. And yes, there is always a need in this area.

On a side note, why are you holding that lil puffer in your avatar out of the water on the boat?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom