Felt like sharing some SeaHorses...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marriard

Contributor
Reaction score
Thorny Seahorse Hippocampus hystrix
Anilao, The Philippines
2005-10-22-14-35-51.jpg

Tigertail Seahorse Hippocampus comes
Phuket, Thailand
2006-03-13-23-10-04.jpg

White's Seahorse Hippocampus whitei
Sydney, Australia
22004_0815_092944AA_1.jpg

Pygmy Seahorse Hippocampus bargibanti
Gato Island, The Philippines
22004_0309_123009AA_2b.jpg

Longsnout Seahorse Hippocampus reidi
West Palm Beach, Florida
22004_0425_013613AA_1.jpg

Common Seahorse Hippocampus taeniopterus
Malapascua Island, The Philippines
22004_0306_052413AA_1.jpg

Pot-bellied Seahorse Hippocampus abdominalis
Sydney Aquarium
22003_0508_102723aa_1.jpg

Enjoy,
M

Marriard

Those are beautiful. They are difficult animals to photograph well, maybe something about their texture. But your photos are artwork, you have nailed them. Your head shots are spectacular. Post more please,

++Ken++

just beautiful!

Never seen one so I was wondering, how willing are they as models? do they hang around or do they shy off?

Very Nice.

justleesa:
just beautiful!

Never seen one so I was wondering, how willing are they as models? do they hang around or do they shy off?

Tremendously difficult animals to work with to get a reasonable shot.

At night they actively shy away from the light, so the straight on look is very difficult. I find that a red filter improves your chances of a good image 100% at least.

During the day they are also shy and tend to drift away, so still very difficult. Also as they are very light sensitive, you don't want to 'strobe' them for ever. I wont take anymore than 2 or 4 images without a reasonable break for the animal. Sometimes a lot less if there are a lot of other divers. They will hang around, but they are not the most robust of animals.

Also a lot are found attatched to things moving in the current, so you have to take that into account often as well. The White's for example is on some open water kelp. That image was a production to get (but one of my favourites).

Pygmy's are of course tiny, and you only have to look a way for a second and you sometimes have top start hunting from scratch again (and they swim to the other side of the fan which will drive you nuts).

Tigertails are probably the easist (apart from the huge ones in Galapogas).

M

Makes me appriciate you pictures even more!! not only beautiful, but fantastic!!

Thanks for the info!!!

Back
Top Bottom