Feet Heavy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is not uncommon when diving wet in sidemount to see a 2lb weight on each shoulder strap for trim purposes. You may not need it for ballast but if you need it for trim there is nothing wrong with it.

Yep, going to borrow pockets off my other bc and try this. Didn’t even think to ask this question but it makes sense when there is no other sensible adjustment to make. I will also raise my waist belt a bit as I think I’m still a bit low. I recall your advice a while back in my other thread on basic trim issues was waist belt where I’d normal where a jeans belt.

Yep, going to borrow pockets off my other bc and try this. Didn’t even think to ask this question but it makes sense when there is no other sensible adjustment to make. I will also raise my waist belt a bit as I think I’m still a bit low. I recall your advice a while back in my other thread on basic trim issues was waist belt where I’d normal where a jeans belt.
No need for pockets it's cheaper and more secure to use a loop of bungee. I'll try describe how to do it. Put a standard block weight on top of the webbing whrere you want it to be with the slots parallel to the webbing. Make a loop of bungee about 1.4x the length of the weight. Feed one end of the loop through the weight and behind the webbing then come back out through the other slot in the weight. Now stretch both ends over the opposite side of the block weight. And now you have your weight secured super minimally for less than a dollar.
Top view: weight on webbing
IMG_20210907_094332.jpg

Front view: bungee looped through.
IMG_20210907_094408.jpg

Front view: bungee looped over ends
IMG_20210907_094538.jpg

I am foot heavy in sidemount and BM. My favorite trim solution is the trusty 2# coated lead hard weight bungeed to the shoulder strap. You can easily adjust the exact position for perfect trim.

You may also do some research and find a more positively buoyant fin. It just depends on how much you want to optimize.

I’m literally spread on counter with webbing, bungee and weights trying this. Family dinner can wait. DO you guys use 2mm or 3mm bungee?

Yep, already have a set of positive RK3’s.

I’m literally spread on counter with webbing, bungee and weights trying this. Family dinner can wait. DO you guys use 2mm or 3mm bungee?

Either really. I can't remember what size I use (probably 2mm) but with a double fisherman's knot it can't fit through the gap in the weight. If you put the side with the loop over first and the knot side looped over second then even if one side slips off (literally impossible) the weight can't get loose.

This bungee is too thin so probably 3mm would work better but here's some pictures of it irl. Ignore the long tail. I don't have any pre-made with me and this is the only bungee I have at the moment. IMG_20210907_114909.jpg IMG_20210907_114919.jpg IMG_20210907_114932.jpg

tie it with the same material as suicide strap/regulator necklace. As long as it fits thru the slots it doesn’t really matter. Thicker is probably a bit more secure and 3mm/ 1/8” is standard.

Wanted to give an update. Still struggling with heavy feet. Got this video to show from last week. Basically, I'm zero weight needed for buoyancy in a 5mm or thinner. In this vid I'm in 3mm and cylinders are full. I've added 4 lbs to shoulders. Still not enough it seems. Heck, the unknown air in my rear bag and dsmb didn't even help. When I relax (in my goal to be able to hover with no movement and perform other skills) I almost immediately feel the drop and then start finning to keep legs up. Is my problem as simple as "keep adding weight to shoulders until I get it" ?

Back
Top Bottom