Feet first ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Y'all are just too nice up there. :wink:
This is the Near Misses and Lessons Learned forum. Only strong opinions conveyed in a condescending tone are allowed.
Have fun, guys...
(I bet cdolphin is going to start enjoying cold water diving.)

If by "cold" you mean 79*, Bt.

You didn't get the 1,000 word PM I sent to TSandM....

I expected to get snip remarks to my OP....so far - so sweet:blinking: Maybe because I admitted up-front how stoopid I am.

The buoyancy of neoprene is based upon compression. At depth, the higher pressure reduces the lift. Now, might your shorty have been snug enough to compress the part of your 7mm suit that it was covering? If they are each sized to fit you on their own, then something could easily be too snug when worn together. If your lower legs, uncovered by the shorty, were buoyant and your compressed torso wasn't, that might explain a part of it.

CD -- I wish you would have talked with me about these issues. I know we talked about you going to Florida but I had no idea things had been this bad. IF you are still around in May, you should come back to the house and play in the pool. There are many things you can learn to make you see why diving here in Puget Sound is far superior than what you'll see in warm, tropical, clear water.

03f07450.jpg

Awwwwww! Cute! Peter, you have the best pics. Thank you for that, and for the invite.

I didn't want to elaborate in a negative fashion about my previous instruction, and I guess I thought it was my fault. Theoretically instructors are to be respected. However, in all relationships respect is earned. In retrospect I realize it could have been a helpful time if done differently by both the instructor and myself. So I'll just leave it at, yeah, it was not a great experience.

I didn't know what I didn't know. (Yes, the Peter Principal in action)

I got very lucky by finding you for my EAN class. Any local divers would be wise to call Peter if they are looking to take any classes.

We'll talk soon.

Last edited:
The buoyancy of neoprene is based upon compression. At depth, the higher pressure reduces the lift. Now, might your shorty have been snug enough to compress the part of your 7mm suit that it was covering? If they are each sized to fit you on their own, then something could easily be too snug when worn together. If your lower legs, uncovered by the shorty, were buoyant and your compressed torso wasn't, that might explain a part of it.

:coffee:That's a good point I hadn't thought about! Never thought about the outer shortie being overly compressive....

My suits were custom made for me by Harvey's and I think they fit perfectly. But it is something to consider.

Thanks!

:coffee:That's a good point I hadn't thought about! Never thought about the outer shortie being overly compressive....

My suits were custom made for me by Harvey's and I think they fit perfectly. But it is something to consider.

Thanks!

Well, that's the question. Was the shorty custom made for you to wear alone when traveling to warmer destinations, or made to wear over the 7mm? If it was fit to be worn alone, maybe it compresses the 7mm and itself when they are worn together resulting in less lift than expected. If it was fit to wear over the 7mm, then that may not be the issue.

In any case I wish you luck in resolving your trim issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom