Feeling generally under the weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brianna

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everybody! I'm taking my certification classes now, and last night was the first time we were in the pool with scuba gear on. We went into the deep end- 13 feet. Sitting at the bottom we were practicing filling our masks with water and clearing them out. I had a slight freak out and came to the top of the pool to get the water out of my mask. I had a hard time equalizing on the way back down and I'm not sure if I got my right ear popped all the way. Today my ears and throat are sore, I feel tired and just under the weather. Could this be related to last night or could it just be a coincidence and I'm coming down with a cold?

You've stressed your sinuses, causing them to drain into the back of your throat, just like when you first get a cold. You probably got a little water up your nose, further irritating it. I wouldn't worry about it, you might take a decongestant to dry you out, but don't dive even in the pool if you are stuffy. A note of caution: I get wicked sinus infections when I snort pool water. Same with ear infections. If you are feeling really stuffy, go see your ENT and get the problem fixed.

I am not a doctor and in no way qualified to give medical advice. Of course, I'm a boat captain, so I am a self-proclaimed expert on most everything. :D Good luck with class.

Thanks! I definitely got a lot of water up my nose. It's a bit tricky trying to learn how to breathe, especially with water in my mask. My next class is Monday, so I hope I'll be unstuffed by then.

I have read some other discussion where people have recommended to wear your mask around the house half full of tap water to practice breathing through your mouth only. I have never tried this, but it makes sense to me.

Thanks! I definitely got a lot of water up my nose. It's a bit tricky trying to learn how to breathe, especially with water in my mask. My next class is Monday, so I hope I'll be unstuffed by then.
Snorkeling is great practice pre-scuba. Wearing mask and breathing thru mouthpiece with face in water, then doing it with a full mask.

Some of us always take decongestants before diving, and rinse ears with alcohol/vinegar mix after.

Snorkeling is great practice pre-scuba. Wearing mask and breathing thru mouthpiece with face in water, then doing it with a full mask.
I've done plenty of snorkeling over the years in my pool, and we did snorkel the first day of class. I think maybe being in the deep end just knowing I couldn't stand up if I needed to just made it more difficult than it had to be.

I also have general anxiety and I'm trying my best to remain calm learning to scuba!

Back
Top Bottom