Feeler thread - Nearly New Shearwater Petrel 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been a long-time lurker and I love this board. This is my first post and I don't mean to break any rules if this is not allowed.

I just bought a Petrel 3 from Dive Right In Scuba. I needed to upgrade from my Garmin Descent when my eyesight started to fade. I figured go big and see big. Well I took it on 6 dives in 2 days and realized this is way more computer than I need. I'm now 3 days outside of the return window and wondering if there is a market on this board for this computer? It's absolutely perfect and even the straps are fresh since I switched to bungie for the dives. Retail is $1270 - I would like to get $1050 to cover a Perdix 2.

petrel 3.jpg

The Petrel3 is a great computer, but it's really more necessary for CCR & Tech divers, especially the connected version. The Perdix has a lower profile but is not all that different from the Petrel in functionality if not CCR wired. FYI, the Petrel3 has a new OLED screen in a return to the original Predator design. I think the Perdix has an LCD screen which is not quite as sharp or clear and a bit smaller.

How much is the price difference? What are you hoping to gain?

I have a Petrel 3 on my new CCR. Much brighter compared to my two Perdix AI (2 & 4 years old).

I'm not seeing the problem here. Put it into recreational nitrox mode and go diving. None of the tech features are going to have any effect unless you turn them on. What would you gain by replacing it with a Perdix, which runs essentially the same software with all the same menus and options? I had an older version of the Petrel on my Prism 2 and it was gorgeous. If I didn't have a Teric I would consider buying one of these just for the display

I was also not considering how much heavier it is when I purchased online rather than in person (but no one local was stocking it). Going from the Garmin to this is like strapping a brick to my arm. My initial thought of going to the Perdix would still allow me to use the Swift transmitter, but also loose some weight.

Ring DRIS ask for mad Mike and laugh when you're asking

You're going to lose less than 3 oz. If you want something small and light with a nice display, get a Teric. I'm definitely well into bifocal age, but my Teric with the large layout is perfectly readable with a standard mask.

I was also not considering how much heavier it is when I purchased online rather than in person (but no one local was stocking it). Going from the Garmin to this is like strapping a brick to my arm. My initial thought of going to the Perdix would still allow me to use the Swift transmitter, but also loose some weight.

P3 might seem like a brick compared to your Garmin, but I can’t tell much difference weight-wise with one of my Perdix. P3 is bigger in size than Perdix, but that’s it.

You should keep the Petrel and know that you have a top-of-the-line computer. Think of it like the weight of quality you feel wearing a Rolex or Omega. :)

You're going to lose less than 3 oz. If you want something small and light with a nice display, get a Teric. I'm definitely well into bifocal age, but my Teric with the large layout is perfectly readable with a standard mask.
I just looked it up. The Perdix2 is 4.3 oz, the Pertel3 OC is 9.38 oz. Interestingly they don't even list the weight of the Teric. The weight is not even a consideration here to me.

The major difference is that the Petrel is chunkier. However, the specs report the Depth of the Perdix2 at 38mm and the Petrel3 as 39mm. The max depth of the of the Perdix is nearly identical but it is taped so that does take up less overall volume.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom