Feedback on Maui Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ANNYA5254

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi!

My son, 13, and I are new divers. (certified a little over a year; child: 15 dives; me: 21 dives) We are headed to the Big Island and Maui to dive. We have our dives booked for Big Island, but I'd like some feedback for Maui.

So far, I have booked dives to The Cathedrals, Mala Pier, and Black Rock. I am interested in feedback about Molokini Crater and 5 Caves. I am not comfortable enough to do a shore dive without a guide, as I do not know the area, so renting and exploring on my own are not happening this time.

If there are other locations that are better, please advise!

Molokini Crater: We are not advanced enough to do the back wall, so we'd only do the inner crater.

5 Caves: I was told if I dive in Pauko and and the Cathedrals, I wouldn't need to do this dive.

I think you're already hitting kind of the Big 3 on Maui with Cathedrals, Mala and Black Rock. I've snorkeled at Molokini and I think that'd probably be a good one to hit too with your experience level.

Molokini is a lot different than the other dive sites you're hitting. It's limitless viz blue water diving out at the edge of the crater, where you can hear humpback whales while you dive (if you're there during the season) and have the chance of seeing some bigger marine life. It's also plenty protected to make for a nice surface interval if you're diving there twice.

Only other thing to remember about Maui is that it's the wind sports capital of the world. It's almost guaranteed that you'll be out on your boat in rapidly-deteriorating surface conditions (especially on that long upwind transit back from the Cathedrals.) So, prepare yourself not to get seasick in the best way you know how.

And if you're looking to shore dive, Maui Dreams dive shop has some guided shore dives (usually somewhere south of Kihei) that are pretty fun

Reactions: Ubu
Is Mala actually an option? It is (was at least) an amazing dive site, but the collapsed pier is in Lahaina. Are they still restricting access to the area?

Only other thing to remember about Maui is that it's the wind sports capital of the world. It's almost guaranteed that you'll be out on your boat in rapidly-deteriorating surface conditions (especially on that long upwind transit back from the Cathedrals.) So, prepare yourself not to get seasick in the best way you know how.
I second this - my normal dose of Bonine was enough to keep me from puking on the way back, but not enough to keep me from feeling pretty crappy. I was on a small-ish RHIB from Dive Maui, though. Bigger boat may not have been a problem.

I dived Maui about a year ago before the fire. Lanai is great and well worth repeat trips to see the Cathedrals and other sites. The downside is it's a longer boat ride. Molokini Crater is not worth it IMHO. Dove it decades ago when it was world class, but now all the coral is dead and only some smaller fish and starfish. Mala Pier is a fantastic easy dive site with so much to see. We even saw dolphins. We dived it from a boat and the shore entry is from downtown so I'm not sure it's open to the public.

If you want to keep the cost down some of the shore sites are very easy to dive without a guide. Kapalua and honolua bay come to mind. You cannot miss the entrance and exit at those locations. One way in and out. They’re also both fairly protected from any afternoon surge. My daughter is 12 and she enjoyed both those sites.

Cathedrals is a good dive, but as noted the ride can be a problem.

I’ve dove molokini twice. I’m glad I did, but not sure if I would again.

Mala is also a good dive. If accessible from the town you also can shore dive it without a guide. However right now a boat may be the only option.

Is Mala actually an option? It is (was at least) an amazing dive site, but the collapsed pier is in Lahaina. Are they still restricting access to the area?
I found a few places that will book a dive to Mala, so I assume it won't be restricted.

Molokini is a lot different than the other dive sites you're hitting. It's limitless viz blue water diving out at the edge of the crater, where you can hear humpback whales while you dive (if you're there during the season) and have the chance of seeing some bigger marine life. It's also plenty protected to make for a nice surface interval if you're diving there twice.

And if you're looking to shore dive, Maui Dreams dive shop has some guided shore dives (usually somewhere south of Kihei) that are pretty fun
Thank you for the response. This has been helpful. I didn't even think about the seasick aspect of the boat ride back!

Thank you for the response. This has been helpful. I didn't even think about the seasick aspect of the boat ride back!
My go-to is meclazine, (in Dramamine or Bonnie) 1 dose the night before, 1 dose about an hour before I get on the boat and I’ll carry one along on the boat just in case. The only time I’ve ever had to take that 3rd dose was on the trip back from Lanai after the 2nd dive got cancelled cause it was getting way too rough. I felt great by the time we arrived at our new 2nd dive site all tucked in to the East Maui wind shadow

Back
Top Bottom