Feed back or info needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you are getting some heavy-duty deals, you've picked a fairly expensive set of gear.

Atomics are good regs, but high priced. I agree with looking at the HOG regs; we have them and like them a lot. BUT . . . some of the issue is what you can get serviced, and whether you are willing to mail things away to get it done.

I don't like quick disconnects. We almost lost a dive in Mexico this last trip when my husband's started leaking. It's much easier to swap out a simple SPG.

And finally, you may or may not want to go with a console, and even if you do, I'd advise against putting your compass on it. Either wear the compass on your wrist, or put it on some kind of mount that you can clip to your BC. It can be quite cumbersome to pull a compass around on an HP hose, to a place where you can center it and use it, unless the hose is so long that it's rather messy.

I prefer to have my depth gauge on my wrist, where it is very easy to monitor during ascents, even when I have my left hand full of inflator or dump valve. But that's just me.

+1 on the Edge HOG regulators - Go to Cave Adventurers for that: HOG Backmount Regulator Package [HOGBMpkg] - $584.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!. Give them a call.

and the BackPlate Wing (BP/W): https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=rigs Call them up, and ask for a guy by the name of Tobin. He will be able to tell you exactly what to get. Or, send a private message to cool_hardware52, that is Tobin here on the board.

Hundreds of tech divers can't be wrong about their rigs. :wink:

Lastly, for a tech computer that will work wonderfully up to before trimix, search for an "Aladin 2G Dive Computer". You should be able to pick one up for less than $300.

WHY? Tried, true, have many respected followers of these items.

+1 on the Edge HOG regulators - Go to Cave Adventurers for that: HOG Backmount Regulator Package [HOGBMpkg] - $584.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!. Give them a call.

and the BackPlate Wing (BP/W): https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=rigs Call them up, and ask for a guy by the name of Tobin. He will be able to tell you exactly what to get. Or, send a private message to cool_hardware52, that is Tobin here on the board.

Lastly, for a tech computer that will work wonderfully up to before trimix, search for an "Aladin 2G Dive Computer". You should be able to pick one up for less than $300.

Where are you finding that computer for less than $300? Lowest US price I can find is $425.

I have a BP/W as well. I like it when diving dry as the BP/STA weighs 12lbs so that takes weight off the belt. But honestly my Stiletto dives more like a BP/W than not and I rather dive that when diving warm water.

I never know why every diver on SB wants to have everyone diving a tech rig when most will never do tech diving. I'm sure Tobin likes it! So you buy a DSS then you realize you need a weight belt or system, then you may want expensive weight plates, then you realize that a alum BP is desirable for warm water, and it goes on. Different sized wings, can lights, reels, lift bags, and before you know it you have collected a boat load of gear, but you are really not technical nor do you want to dive to 200ft..... and a Zeagle BC would have done the job.

So do you see yourself diving doubles into black holes in 3 years, or do you just want to dive to 130' and enjoy that experience? If the answer is the latter I suggest avoiding the rabbit hole.

Where are you finding that computer for less than $300? Lowest US price I can find is $425.

Well, they have gone up since Leisure Pro became a dealer, but the scuba store still posts one: (Buy the puck and get the bungee mount from DSS.)

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 50
I
I never know why every diver on SB wants to have everyone diving a tech rig when most will never do tech diving.

Hoping I don't fit in the 'every diver' mold . . . I just could not get decent trim until I got in a back plate. All the BCs seem to want to force you to a 45-degree trim, which sucks when you want to be taking pictures.

It is not a question of a tec vs rec rig, it is that HOGs are better values than Atomics and most any BP/w is a better value than a Black Diamond.

The BP may distribute weight across the back, 6 lbs generally. Another way to accomplish that is to raise the tank, or put weight on your upper CAM band, or put some weight on the top of the tank, or all three, or hang some weight from the top of the BC, whatever works. I think part of it is the diver. A good diver will find his trim wearing almost anything. A less experienced diver finds themselves heads up regardless of what they are diving generally by choice.

so i just bought my Reg. i ended up buying an Atomic Z2x for 375.00 new. i think it was a good deal. now i just need to get my BCD and computer for the right price.
thanks all for your input. FYI i hope to be diving in SoCal area San Diego to Santa Barbara Rec & Lobster, once i get my Cert., so any advice and info would greatly appreciated, i would also be looking for a buddy to dive with contact me if your interested.....

It is not a question of a tec vs rec rig, it is that HOGs are better values than Atomics and most any BP/w is a better value than a Black Diamond.

With that argument there are a bunch of equipment the OP could buy that is cheaper! I like Zeagle regs over Hog. When diving warm water I like a back inflate BC over a BP/W especially if I have to wear a weight belt belt. It's nice to have pockets as well.

The BP/W works well, but it's hardly the end all in BC's unless that is what you like. There is the rub. Not everyone likes a hog harness and BP/W. Heck Netdoc is now diving some funky BC with an electronic purge and 50+ lbs of lift. Different strokes......

With that argument there are a bunch of equipment the OP could buy that is cheaper! I like Zeagle regs over Hog. When diving warm water I like a back inflate BC over a BP/W especially if I have to wear a weight belt belt. It's nice to have pockets as well.

The BP/W works well, but it's hardly the end all in BC's unless that is what you like. There is the rub. Not everyone likes a hog harness and BP/W. Heck Netdoc is now diving some funky BC with an electronic purge and 50+ lbs of lift. Different strokes......

There is no end all in diving. If there was... then everyone would dive the same thing.

You ask a diver which reg is best, and everyone thinks the one they have is the best. Me personally. After trying many different regs, I'll say this... you get what you pay for. High performance equipment is just that. No made in China regulator with a label on it that says brand X will outperform an Apeks, ScubaPro, Aqua Lung, or Atomic.

Back
Top Bottom