Feather duster worm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Haven't seen this one locally before. I think it's some sort of feather duster worm, but I don't know enough to tell. Have to get the Humann book!

P5190078-01cropsm.jpg

California?
Rick

Serpulid Worm perhaps?

Looks like a serpulid to me.

A Serpulid Worm or scientificaly speaking, serpula vermicularis. We see these locally too. They range from Alaska to San Diego California. I like the trumpet shaped operculum. For identification, I like the Daniel Gotshall Guide to Invertebrates: Alaska to Baja California.

This is as close as I can get. Probably won't help much as I don't have any other angles or detail. Thanks for the help, everyone.
P5190078-01smcrop2.jpg

All the more reasons to dive in California. I sometimes have a bad habit of poking them where they would run in quick. At least I've stop picking up creatures several weeks ago now.

Clsoe enough. Serpula columbiana. This one is native to the NEP. It was described from Puget Sound and is much more common than S. vermicularis which appears to be an introduced species.

Larry C:
... locally ...
Where's "locally?" I know your profile says "northern California" - but that covers a lot of ocean! Monterey? Point Reyes? Fortuna?
Just curious, don'tchaknow...
Rick :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom