Favorite fish for hunting/eating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for Tog!! up here in the Mid-Atlantic area, like Capt.Frank says, big Monkfish are good to eat, but it's more about the challenge becasuse a big one will turn and attack if you don't kill em right away!!
Good Diving
John B

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the information. I will most likely be doing my hunting between DC and the Keys so this is really great to get me started on my research. We are an "Asian" family so we often steam whole white meat fish with garlic, ginger, and scallions then pour a bit of soy sauce on it. Great easy dinner.

Once I spear my first fish, I'll tell you all how it went.

Wookie is right. South Florida Hog Fish is king. But Lion Fish is moving up very quickly. Every time we cook up a batch of Lion Fish people are amazed at how great it tastes.

Wookie is right. South Florida Hog Fish is king. But Lion Fish is moving up very quickly. Every time we cook up a batch of Lion Fish people are amazed at how great it tastes.

I dont know that you can say lion fish in the same breath as hogfish. I would say that lion fish is gaining some acceptance.....but moving up very quickly.....thats a stretch. And.....that acceptance is in part to a LOT of advertising in your area BEGGING people to eat lionfish to help control the population.

Up our way (NJ) for me its Lobster (With claws!!!), then Flounder, followed by Tog.

I want a monkfish this year as well........and I know its a challenge, but Im excited.

Monk Fish, Tile Fish [Golden Tile] and Scorpion Grouper.....Never known anyone to shoot Tile or Scorpion, too deep, but they are excellent eating and can be prepared several ways...And like most delicate, flavorful fish, the simpler the better.......

..... I would say that lion fish is gaining some acceptance.....but moving up very quickly.....thats a stretch.

Widespread acceptance I would agree, not yet. But along the coastal communities the wholesale fish houses are asking and paying for them. That's a very good sign and I hope more divers shoot them, even to just to leave them in the sand for other fish to find. Never hand feed fish. Shoot every lionfish you can find

#! Cabezon

#2 Lingcod and Halibut

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom