Favorite book to read on a dive trip...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This has been a better-than-anticipated thread as there are quite a few authors mentioned that I don't know about.

(shameless plug following) If course, for a great action / adventure that's hard to put down (perfect for those boring plane rides) there's none better than Out Of Hell's Kitchen...

I'll compile a list of results and post back to this thread

Thanks,
John

For recreation I leave technical & factual historical, biographical, etc on the shelf. Reading for fun is generally some form of fiction for me. Mostly science fiction but also some fantasty, horror/suspense & such.

Huge Heinlein fan, I can always take one of his books, from his earliest works to his last, & reread it fro fun. Some King, Kuntz. Orscon Scott Card, most any of the old masters, Asimov, Clark, Niven, Pournelle, Turtledove & so forth. I like the Harry Potter books.

Sometimes I'm just not in the mood to tackle something new. Rereading a book I haven't read it a long while lets me relax & enjoy it without having to work at it, so I'll pick something that fits that goal.

Oddly enough, the day before heading off to the Big Island, I picked up a copy of Michener's "Hawaii" at a used book fair. It was good find for the trip. In an airport in Australia, I picked up a copy of "Suppose I Die..." or I think that was the title --- I guess I like local color.

I am a new diver and just came back from a Fiji trip. This book has been a wonderful companion - at times it is personal and emotional, others informative and thought-provoking. Amazon has it both new and used.

As promised, here's a list of titles people have presented so far, which I know I'll use to add to my reading list...

Out Of Hell's Kitchen (John H Hanzl) - Action / Adventure of incomparable quality...
Richard Sharpe series (Bernard Cornwell) - Napoleanic Wars series
"Running With Scissors" and "Dry" (Augusten Burroughs)
Aubrey / Maturin series (Patrick O'Brian)
Sick Puppy (Carl Hiaasen)
A Confederacy Of Dunces (John Kennedy Toole)
Fluke (Christopher Moore) - It's hilarious
Sir Harry Flashman series of books (George MacDonald Frasier) - the flashman series is hilarious!
Travis McGee series (John D. MacDonald's) - extremely diverting, and fascinating on several levels.
Term Limits (Vince Flynn) - political/Espionage
Underwater Rodeo (Eugene Chicchinelli) - very rare, very good
Shadow Divers (Robert Kurson)
The Swarm (Frank Schatzing) - about the discovery of an intelligent species called the 'yer'
Riddle of the Compass (Amir D. Aczel)
Two Years Before the Mast (Richard Henry Dana) - A personal narrative of life at sea.
Shibumi (Trevanian)
Life of Pi (Yann Martel) - quoting The New Yorker, “An impassioned defense of zoo’s, a death-defying trans-pacific sea adventure a la Kon-Tiki, and hilarious”.
(Anything by author Keith Douglass)
(Anything by author David Sedaris)
Hawaii (James A. Michener)
Neutral Buoyancy: Adventures in a Liquid World (Tim Ecott) - This book has been a wonderful companion - at times it is personal and emotional, others informative and thought-provoking.

I read the Swarm on my last trip. Cripes what a long book.
Life of Pi is a favorite of mine. I've read it 4 times and listen to it endlessly in audio.
Bill Brysons travel writing is always good for a laugh.
I've read A walk through the woods, In a Sunburned Country, and A Short History of Nearly Everything several times each.
For quirky silly fiction I like John Irving. Water Method Man, A Widow for One Year, A Prayer for Owen Meany, The Cider House Rules, and the World According to Garp are a few I have on the shelf.
Terry Pratchet books are hilarious and excellent, and usually a very quick read.
The last couple of trips I've also picked up a couple of girly books which aren't all bad. These aren't going to win literature prizes, but they are a fun, silly way to pass away time during surface intervals. I've read all of the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom