Favorite book to read on a dive trip...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnnyH

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
As I am always looking for a good read, I was curious as to what everyone is reading.

Now, I am somewhat biased for my #1 book, as I wrote it. However, getting beyond that I would also add the following:

Out Of Hell's Kitchen (John H Hanzl)
Richard Sharpe series (Bernard Cornwell) - Napoleanic Wars series
"Running With Scissors" and "Dry" (Augusten Burroughs)
Aubrey / Maturin series (Patrick O'Brian)
Sick Puppy (Carl Hiaasen)
A Confederacy Of Dunces (John Kennedy Toole)

That's my short list - what's yours?

John

Looks like you like the weird, wild and bizarre(O'toole and Hiassin). Try fluke by Christopher Moore - It's hilarious.:rofl3:

anyone into george macdonald frasier? the flashman series is hilarious!

if you do books on tape/cd, the sharpes and flashmans are read by the same great reader.

im a huge stephen king fan so i usually have a newly released novel waiting for me, otherwise i pull out some of his older stuff to re-read

i also go to the local 2nd stores to pick up some books as i leave them at the resort to be read by staff or other guests as some places (like Yap) dont have alot reading materials

Nothing, nothing, nothing can compare with the Aubry/Maturin series. I delayed reading the last. I reread them, now and then.

John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee series is extremely diverting, and fascinating on several levels.

Go with Vince Flynn for political/Espionage (Start with TERM LIMITS), Clive Cussler for diving/adventure (unrealistic but fun) or Tom Clancy (I'm Stongly recommending CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER and RAINBOW SIX)

Shadow Divers, or Underwater Rodeo (very rare, very good)By, Eugene Chicchinelli

I recently read a book called 'the swarm' which was about the discovery of an intelligent species called the 'yer' while on a dive trip. Basically the yer decided to get revenge on humans for all our destruction and pollution of the seas by destroying the continetial shelves, creating mass plauges of extra poisionous jelly fish, turing whales savage and making them attack boats etc etc.

While not the best book in the world (too long and got stuck down in technical details although it did try to simplify them) it's probably not the best thing to read while on a dive trip. I was back at the boat taking my fins off and I felt 'something' grab my leg:11: of course having just read about mutant creatures attacking humans you can imagine what was going through my mind. The guys on the boat where pissing themselves at the look of utter horror on my face:rofl3: Turns out that 'something' was not a mutant giant moray eel ready to suck me into the depths but the friendly DM :jestera:

Mel.b

I go nowhere without a book ‘just in case’, Riddle of the Compass is in my truck for the Queen K Crawl (local traffic term) times right now. When traveling prefer to get stuck with something I’m certain I’ll enjoy and an avid rereader. I’d vote for any of O’Brien’s except they won’t last long enough for me.

I think on a Livaboard I’d take Two Years Before the Mast, A personal narrative of life at sea. Dana went from Boston on a merchant marine around Cape Horn to CA back when LA was a new settlement before the gold rush. His accounting of the experience and locations is riveting having seen the coast of CA now. The small size (500 pages or so) are convenient to haul around and last a long time due to the ship workings and details trying to figure them out. Has a great set of diagrams to pore over. I picked it up when I was jonseing for more Aubrey and Maturin waiting for The Hundred Days.
Or Life of Pi. Can’t describe it adequately myself so quoting The New Yorker, “An impassioned defense of zoo’s, a death-defying trans-pacific sea adventure a la Kon-Tiki, and hilarious”. Also small at 300 pages, might not last long enough but would be great to read aloud – great conversation openings or long enough to trade books with a companion.

That reminds me, got to read Shibumi again, the Trevanian where the main guy explores a cave sump for recreation and then ends up needing it for…well better not spoil it. I want to see what was so impressive reads like now I have a bit of diving awareness. Trevanian also wrote The Eiger Sanction and it’s another ‘I don’t do that any more but it came in handy I’m really good at it.’ He says “I dug back into my youth in Japan and worked up a writer for Shibumi, a book just barely within the conventions of the slam-bang super-spy, but one that offered the reader a virile style of excellence that had nothing to do with force, braggadocio, or violence. It blended a good yarn with a life-philosophy, and was an instant international success.”
From Shibumi;
"Shibumi, sir?" Nicholai knew the word, but only as it applied to gardens or architecture, where it connoted an understated beauty. "How are you using the term, sir?"
"Oh, vaguely. And incorrectly, I suspect. A blundering attempt to describe an ineffable quality. As you know, shibumi has to do with great refinement underlying commonplace appearances. It is a statement so correct that it does not have to be bold, so poignant it does not have to be pretty, so true it does not have to be real. Shibumi is understanding, rather than knowledge. Eloquent silence. In demeanor, it is modesty without pudency. In art, where the spirit of shibumi takes the form of sabi, it is elegant simplicity, articulate brevity. In philosophy, where shibumi emerges as wabi, it is spiritual tranquility that is not passive; it is being without the angst of becoming. And in the personality of a man, it is . . . how does one say it? Authority without domination? Something like that."
Shibumi appears to be a movie In Development, I sure hope it comes out as well as Master and Commander did.

If I wanted something more brief, short and sweet quickies so I didn’t get caught reading all night I’d grab one of Stephen J. Gould or Edward Abbey essays/anthologies off the shelf.

If you like weird have you found Memoir from Antproof Case?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom